Iron Supplements for breastfed babies

So my DS's pediatrician prescribed him iron supplements because he is breastfed and said that they are recommending it to all breastfed babies.
Has anyone else come across it?
I've given it to him once so far and it made his stool very dark and the stuff smells and tastes horrible.
My husband and I really don't want to give it to him and think that I should be producing everything he needs.

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 12:24 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• My doctor never recommended iron supplements but she did recommend Tri-Vi-Sol WITHOUT iron. It has 3 different vitamins that many women lack themselves, I think vitamin D was one of the big ones. It was just to ensure he was getting enough. It comes in a little dropper thing, smells good, and is fruity tasting. My son loved them! He was breastfed for 13 months and we never had an issue and never were recommended to start iron supplements. Unless your doc has a reason to put your baby on iron, like blood work or something, I'd maybe just try the Tri-Vi-Sol. I know iron can mess with tummys and that's no good.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Oh and you buy the vitamins at Walgreens. No prescription.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• In general, iron supplements really aren't necessary. While there isn't a ton of iron in breastmilk, it's the right amount for your baby, and it's highly nutritionally available. The iron in supplements isn't as well absorbed, and can cause constipation. I'd be leery of giving them.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:42 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I was wondering why he only pooped twice today and was so cranky last night. thank you- I'm probably going to discontinue it and maybe up my broccoli intake lol
    slowyourrole

Comment by slowyourrole (original poster) at 12:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Just want to say good for you for asking the question and not just going along with whatever your doctor says. Personally, I'm with musicpesces. I don't think a breastfed baby should EVER need supplements unless Mom needs supplements, in which case the mom should take them. Breastmilk is the perfect natural food, and nature knows what baby needs. Google "iron supplements breastfeeding" and see what you find. I bet you'll find some articles recommending NOT to give it. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Thank you everyone. I only gave it to him once and his bowels still haven't gone back to normal- very small amounts and very gassy. I'm definitely discontinuing it. I already take iron and multivitamins so I don't think he would need anything extra. The smell of the stuff was vomit worthy anyway.
    Thanks again!
    slowyourrole

Comment by slowyourrole (original poster) at 8:30 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Not sure how old your baby is, but the ped tested my kids iron levels and the oldest 3 had low iron levels at around 9 months even though I was still taking my prenatals and additional iron supplements while breastfeeding. My 4th didn't, but he was receiving supplemental bottles of formula.

Answer by missanc at 9:17 AM on Mar. 11, 2011