Agression with people and animals

my 4 year old dog since i have been pregnant has beem odd... it started out as just over protection over the house and my DH know he is getting extremely aggressive with my other dog and some times gose after the cats has never bitten any of them just attacks and he has never gone after the girl i baby sit or any one else but if i try and wake up my DH he will go off at me i can smack his nose and hell Quite but still should i be woried or is this just stress

blinkys11

Asked by blinkys11 at 1:06 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Pets

• I think you should talk to the vet. This does not sound like normal behavior. There could be something else at work making your dog irritable, like an illness or a toothache.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:40 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I think you need to have him evaluated by the vet and run some blood work. There are some conditions that will cause a dog to become aggressive. It could also be that he is playing off your hormones. He could be sensing things and be nervous so he is reacting. It kind of sounds like he is being possisive of things or resourse guarding (same thing). What I would do is not allow him in your bed or any other peace of furniture. Make him sit and wait for his meals and don't allow him to go through doorways first. Make him earn everything from now on. When he has gotten aggressive with your other dog has there been a toy, bone food or anything no matter how silly that he might have deemed valuable. My 6 yr old dog was a resourse guarder with dogs and he went after another dog that I was pet sitting for standing to close to an empty dog food bag.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:55 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You should be worried, this isn't good. It could be medical. I would definitely keep the dog confined when the child you babysit comes over. I agree that you need to get the bloodwork done and a skeletal exam as well. If he checks out medically then you need to see a behaviorist before you have an injury to human or animal in your house. Things like this don't just get better on their own I am sorry to say.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2011