How do you cope with criticisms and gossips about you at work?

I'm new at my job and I'm already hearing negative feedbacks from my coworkers while I'm sitting at the desk working hard not bothering anyone except when I have questions or need to borrow something. I think it's better that they talk when I'm around instead of them talking about me "behind my back" but it's very distracting and makes me upset. Why can't people just mind their own business and leave other people alone? I like my job but my coworkers are very critical. Thanks for letting me vent, I appreciate anything you can share with me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• no advice, but hang in there.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 2:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I'd just ignore it and do my job. I have a great job and awesome co-workers but I've always said I'm not at work to make friends...
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 2:49 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• in all honesty unless someone has something good to say about you or to you i would let it go in one ear and out the other....people that are saying bad things about are not worth the time and effort to worry about
    mommyaug2011

Answer by mommyaug2011 at 2:56 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You need to ignore it. Being pulled into the drama can only turn out badly.

If I were you, I would conduct a stealthy job search, because I suspect that the corporate culture is not a good fit for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:23 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I see it differently! I'm one that has to confront the situation! I wouldn't be a jerk but if i'm sitting there and hear what they're saying I'm gonna politely ask them what the problem is! They may respect you more.

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:24 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• In my lifetime I've worked at many places and I can tell you that is the way things are in the workplace. There was backstabbing and gossiping in everyone of them. I was determined once when I started a new job to not ever, not even once, talk about any of my coworkers behind their back. I surprised myself when I was able to not do it for......about 3 years. I just got tired of playing nice.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:09 AM on Mar. 11, 2011