• In the Spotlight:

Wanting to adopt, but don't know where to start, or even if I can

I live in southern Ohio, I'm married, with a three year old son. I'm onl 20, so I'm not even sure I can adopt. But I can't have anymore children on my own. My husband & I both always wanted kids close in age, but since we got pregnant at a young age plans were changed a lot. We were going to try for another this year, but November of last year, I found out I can't have anymore children. So we're looking into adoption. The reason now, being it's the perfect time for us. My husband has a great job, I'm putting all of my time to be a SAHM and our plan was from the beginning, I was going to stay home with the kids, until they were both in school, then was going to go back to school. Then later on down the road, we'd have more if we wanted to. So any advice, or anything on adoption, the process, age requirements, anything would be helpful, thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Adoption

• contact your local department of children and families, they will walk you through the process........there is no cost involved!!
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 3:23 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You may also want to talk with an adoption attorney and see if your state has any age limits.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Does any one live in TX that knows how to talk to at CPS we have been here 2 years and I can't get any one to return my calls or emails on wanting to foster to adopt:O( We have a homestudy and have adopted a little one and would like to adopt more. Just not sure who to call any more.
    timbo05

Answer by timbo05 at 12:42 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I would contact your local child protective services adoption unit to set up a home study. Many states have a roster of foster children already cleared for adoption on line. Many of these childen are noted to be "difficult placement", because the child may have a special need, older child, or apart of a sibling group. So many children are in the foster care system that would love a great home. We adopted our three foster children, so I have alittle experience in that realm. I am a huge advocate for adoption, so please feel free to ask me if you have any questions!
    abservais

Answer by abservais at 1:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I too have adopted from foster care, it is a great way to build a family! contact your local children's services. If they dont call back, keep calling. ask to speak to the licensing worker, find out when they are offering their next classes to be a foster or adoptive parent. Dont give up, there are thousands of kids in the U.S needing families!
    tns87

Answer by tns87 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Please check out my group here on CM, M.A.M.A. (Making Adoption More Affordable). PM me as well. We just adopted twins 9 months ago.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 12:45 PM on May. 1, 2011