What would you do?

My cousin is in Atlanta for the weekend, she contacted me and asked if she could borrow my car for the weekend. I told her let me get back to her. First of all I don't even care for her like that. Next my husband recently bought me this car(Acura TL). I already know I am not giving her my car. This act seems suspicious to me. I called her back and told her she can borrow the Jeep in my garage, she said she wanted to make and impression to this guy that she recently met.

Around one this morning, she called in dire need of my car. I told her that my hubby has it. I then told her that I will give her the money to rent a vehicle. She was furious and told me she do not have a drivers license so they won't rent her a car. This whole time I am remaining calm (cramping very hard and hemorrhaging). Why do this woman think I would give her my new car knowing she do not have no license.

What should I do? For as long as I know this child she has always been in and out of jail. I do not know what to do but I am very scared with reason. In the morning I'm going to the sheriffs office. What would you do?

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 4:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You said she's your cousin right? That she has been in and out of jail? My suggestion is to completely right her off. I did that to some of my cousins because the completely cut me out of their lives. First of all, she's only calling because she wants something from you. 2 she knows you have a nice new car. and 3 she's used to getting whatever she wants. The best thing you can do for her is to just say "no" and stand by it, but with conviction. You have to MEAN what you say. Also... Don't even let her borrow the jeep. Law requires all vehicles to be registered right? Therefore if you let her use the jeep it doesn't mean that a driver's license will magically appear in her hands... If she wants something bad enough she needs to go out and get it herself. Don't let her walk all over you, you sound like a caring person, don't let her take advantage of that. She can earn herself her own DL and car. You'll do fine.
    FirstTimeMom224

Answer by FirstTimeMom224 at 4:36 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• If she doesn't have a license then there would be no way I would let her borrow my car...that's her own fault. She sounds shady and I wouldn't trust her.

I don't know about calling the sheriff that seems a little much unless she's threatening you for some reason. I'd just tell her no and leave it at that. Your car...your decision.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 4:15 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• tell her no. 1. she has no license 2. insurance will not cover her because she 3. has no license. let the guy impress her because she has no license!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 4:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Refuse politely. Afterall your DH has given this car as a gift....
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 4:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I hope this response didn't come off rude, but I have had something very similar happen to me and I had to learn the hard way. So I do sincerely apologize if I came off rude. :)
    FirstTimeMom224

Answer by FirstTimeMom224 at 4:38 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You can't let an unlicensed drive use your car. There are not any options

Answer by rkoloms at 5:29 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would just say NO. Why go to the Police?

I do not lend my car out to anyone anyways. They all know that.

Answer by louise2 at 5:51 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You tell her no - which you have already done. End of it!
    Calling the Sheriff isn't going to do any good unless she has a warrant out and you know her location. Unless she has made DOCUMENTED threats against you, the sheriff can't do anything.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:57 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Stick by your gut feelings and do not lend her the car or any money. You will have severe consequences if she gets into any trouble and is driving your car. You can do this!! GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:17 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• As you said she isn't that close. The easiest thing is to just not answer the phone. Why do you need this hassle?
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2011