Do you think a 17 year old should be allowed to take Mirena?

My daughter is not fond of kids and really don't want any. Would you approve of her choicess?

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 4:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Health

• You can get it even if you don't have a child however it is more painful for them to get it. If that is how she feels then let her know the pros and cons, The good thing is that if she decides to have children she can just take it out and try for one (when she is ready) I think it's wonderful she is being responsible about it
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:56 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Bring her to the doctor and talk to the doctor of her options of BC. Best thing to do. I think.

Answer by louise2 at 5:47 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Mirena - is NOT approved in any woman who has not already had one children. So, your daughter cannot have Mirena. Take her to a reliable OB/GYN for a talk about long term birth control. And don't forget to remind her that long term birth control does NOT protect against STDs.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:20 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would take her to an OB/GYN as soon as possible. She can discuss all her reproductive options and begin her yearly check-ups. I would be happy that she is responsible enough to know that getting pregnant is not what she wants to do at this time.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would support her decision, but, as a Mirena user, I think there is an age limit they put on that.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 9:46 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• isn't mirena an iud or something like that? she may change her mind down the road about having kids, but if she needs bc what's to control? when is her birthday?
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 4:38 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Mirena can be used to avoid unwanted pregnancies but hope that later on it doesn't create any complications... Hey but prior to that isn't your daughter still young for all this? Isn't that possible for you to divert her attention towards something else?
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 4:57 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Yes she should get it I got pregnant at 17 and it was hard I recommend her getting on birth control until she's ready to have kids.
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 5:12 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• If it's what she wants I'd support her decision

Answer by admckenzie at 5:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I am fairly certain that Mirena is for women who have had at least one child.

She should discuss birth control options with her doctor, or one at Planned Parenthood.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2011