I'm worried-

My 18 month old DD only says 1-2 words. Mama and Buh bye-. Whenever I take her into a store she screams from the moment we get in it until we leave (which only lasts a couple minutes) because she will vomit she gets so worked up. But as soon as we get into the vehicle she's fine again. She has trouble with walking (may need braces).. She doesn't like her hair being brushed, teeth being brushed, giving affection.. so on and so forth. This can just be normal traits right? I am starting to get worried. I am going to the doctors this morning so I will talk to them about this. Just wanted other insight is all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I hope it is just a phase she is going through too. Good luck.

Answer by louise2 at 5:40 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It's hard to say, it's definitely time to have her evaluated. The most important thing is does she understand and respond to what you say to her.

My twins were late talkers, they were two and a half before they started saying their first words and three before they started using sentences. They were also very sensitive to noise and commotion. Their eleven now and perfectly fine.  What's most important is if your DD can understand and respond to what you are saying to her.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:43 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It's good your having her seen by the doctor, there's a couple things you listed that my son did too, like he didn't say very many words either, I had him checked out too and he had a problem with comprehension. Once diagnosed, a bus would pick him up 3 days a week and take him to special schooling to help him, It really helped! He also had to wear special shoes and special glasses. but now he's 11 and everything's fine, he's like another kid! I started right where you are with a concern and a doctors visit. Your doing the right thing, there's help out there for everything! Best of luck to ya mom!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 5:53 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My daughter is 22 months and she says like 3 or 4 words but she understands what I'm telling her like if I tell her go get this or go do this she'll do it so I'm not to worried cus her doctor said as long as she was responding to me that she was fine all kids talk at different times I'm so sorry she has to get braces to walk hopefully everything is ok with her keep us updated :-)
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 5:57 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It is good that you are aware.
    Let us know what the drs. say.
    ((((hugs))))))
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:58 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I'm glad that you are going to address your concerns with your doctor. A lot of parents ignore the symptoms. The doctor should be able to tell you if what your daughter is experiencing will require some sort of intervention. Best of luck!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It's possible it's a phase, but there are other possibilities like sensory processing disorders and things like that too. Some kids are very sensitive to stimuli. I wonder if the store lights are bothering her? I know they bother ME, especially if I have a headache. She may be really sensitive to them if she's fine once she leaves. My son is a little sensitive to touch, but not as much as some. For example, I have to be careful about the kind of socks I buy for him, because if he feels seams at all he won't wear them. Now that he talks more, he's a little more 'rational' about his dislike, but he still hates them if he feels them. There's a book called Raising Your Spirited Child that has helped us. Definitely a good idea take her to the doctor, because they may know what it is or may be able to rule out certain problems so you can narrow down the possible reasons. Hope it turns out to be something you can work through soon!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I am worried for you.
    This sounds like you need to talk to your doctor about this.
    By now your child should be forming short sentences and have a wide vocab.
    Sometimes lingual abilities are just slow to start but I am worried about the emotions or lack there of that you talked about.
    Ask her pediatrition a ton of questions and be prepaird with a list of your concerns.
    studentteach

Answer by studentteach at 9:33 AM on Mar. 11, 2011