Bottle feeding kittens

My cat gave birth 3 days ago. One of the kittens is not nursing. It is acting very weak and does not seem to want to latch on to the mother to nurse. The momma cat tries to care for it by cleaning and cuddleing up to it but the kitten just seems to weak now to latch. It is to early for any of the vet offices or petco to be open and I cant even get to walmart right now. My question is can I feed the kitten with a small medicine dropper and baby formula. I hope that someone on here can help me because i fear the kitten wont last much longer.

angelmine2011

Asked by angelmine2011 at 5:49 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Pets

• I have been bottle raising litters of kittens for several years and I have found that syringes work best. You can get a few from your vet. When you can get to the petstore get some KMR because that is the best thing for the kitten at this point if it is not nursing on its own. I prefer the premade formula myself.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:41 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would go ahead and try, at this point you need to try something to save it! We had to do that with baby rabits and it worked! Good luck, poor little kitty! If formula doesn't work try cows milk and make sur it's warm.
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• thats how i used to do if you keep doing that several times a day it should perk up in no time. good luck
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 6:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• realistically if she isn't latching on to momma she isn't going to latch on to the dropper either so just prop her mouth open and put a few drops in...she'll get drooly and yucky but its par for the course of hand raising a pet especially one that young. good luck and I hope she pulls through.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:07 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• please let us know how the kitten does.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• The kitty is failing to thrive. All my prayers for u. Let me know please how she does. U can message me.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You can also try a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel for the kitty to snuggle up to. Young kittens are very sensitive to cold. They usually cuddle together or with their mommy. I had a kitten with a nursing problem ( actually a bigger sibling just stealing all the food) and I took the weaker kitten and the mom aside and let them have time together alone in a cat carrier to keep out the fat one. After a few bottle feedings and warming up, he did go back to nursing on mommy. Good luck!
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I agree, use the KMR, hope kitten makes it tonight! Good luck!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• thanks. i tried cows milk and the kitten took the dropper but really didnt suck much but i think it took some so i will keep tryin and hope for the best
    angelmine2011

Comment by angelmine2011 (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Well we have managed to get her through the day. She is holding in some milk and holding her body tempature a bit better. But still got to worry because my sil went to check on her while I still had her with the momma and apparently momma was trying to eat her. Idk but there might be something more wrong with her. I just wish that vets didn't cost so friggin much. Can't wait to get momma fixed so I don't have to stress this again. We are gonna keep the kitten in the house now and go from there. In the morning I will call a vet and see what else I can do. Not only am I dealing with a sick kitten my son is sick to. Gonna be a long night. Thanks for the help.
    angelmine2011

Comment by angelmine2011 (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2011