What are things you do to save money?

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 7:02 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• Make a budget and stick to it. Use cash only. Lower your cell phone plan. Switch car insurance companies. Raise your car insurance deductible. Don't eat out much (we only eat out once a month, including fast food). Use coupons and match with sale prices. Limit the number of meals you make that include meat (have a breakfast night for dinner, pasta, etc.).
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:06 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• we make a budget of all our bills, pay them first, then we decide how much "play, or free" money we will have for the pay period, take it out in cash and not use our bank cards til payday again. It's very easy to lose track of how much your spending when you swipe your card. its alot easier to see the play budget shrink if it is literally shrinking in your wallet. thats just what works for us though.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:06 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I ride my bike to work, I try to save things like coupons to cut the cost of groceries...
    fitnessupermom

Answer by fitnessupermom at 7:12 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• We write up a budget every month, giving every single penny a 'home'. I also buy generics instead of name brand things except for a certain few things that just aren't the same(lol) and we cut back on the amount of driving if we are tight on money that particular week. We cut cable and got Netflix, which saves us a TON of money a month, and we keep the heat(or ac, depending on the season) set on a lower setting(65 in winter, 75 in summer). Also, buying in bulk on some things saves us some money, but it's not worth it if you won't use it up before it goes bad.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:55 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• make my own cleaning products
    don't use paper towels or paper napkins
    cook from scratch
    drink only water (and coffee)
    no meat
    plan meals
    keep the thermostat low

Answer by rkoloms at 8:58 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Putting twenty dollars in a "Rainy Day" envelope and putting a hundred dollars into the Savings Account. Our Savings is at $5,000 and the envelope is sitting at $700. Yea, we started the envelope thing late, but hey! at least we have cash for Date Nights out on the town.
    LanaisSky96

Answer by LanaisSky96 at 5:35 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• If were having financial hard time I cut everything we dont need out. I will cut for instance dds cheer, gymnastics classes, and the boys weight lifting, karate etc. That alone would save us more then $200 a month. I also dont buy clothes or extra things for a month or two, again saving us around $300-$400. We only get the extras when we can actually afford it.

Answer by gemgem at 7:46 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I use coupons for groceries. I try to make sure all the lights are off when we aren't in the rooms, which is very hard to do when the hubby and son turn them on and walk out. ;o) I only try to buy what we NEED instead of things we want.
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 7:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Use coupons, take advantage of sales, don't buy anything you don't need, don't go to events or on vacation.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• don't spend any!
    Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 2:15 AM on Mar. 12, 2011