My 13 year old daughter Emily weighs 120 lbs, she's around 5 feet tall, is she overweight?

MomMellisa

Asked by MomMellisa at 7:21 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• It sounds pretty average to me. I am 5 ft 2 and in the 120's at my best. LOL~!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:23 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• For the age of 13 yrs and the height of 5 feet, she is overweight but take it light coz kids can lose weight very easily..
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 7:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I really couldnt say because I dont know her body build. I was 120 at 5ft 2 and was in a size 3 so I knew I was obviously not overweight, but I carried weight in my chest. Some girls also have alot of muscle and muscle weighs more then fat. But over all no I wouldnt say she was overweight. If I recall ideal weight for 5ft2 is around 110 and thats like wayyy thin really.

Answer by gemgem at 7:41 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It is so dependent on her.
    But your role in this is:
    Set a good example.
    Do not have high calorie junk food available.
    Serve healthy meals.
    Provide lots of good exercise opportunities.
    Limit tv, gaming, etc.
    The most important is setting a good example.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:55 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• yes, she is overweight. i am 19 years old 5'4 and 130 pounds. I'm actually overweight myself. I have about 15 extra pounds of loose fat maybe even more. i was overweight as a child and I'm sure the other children make fun of her, even if she doesn't tell you. This is going to effect her mentally and she is going to try to over compensate in other areas other than looks. Myself, I was the "tough girl" and got into many altercations with my peers over small things because I was self conscious about my looks and had to be the best at other things. Also, being overweight is unhealthy, and could lead to later health problems. I don't suggest putting her on a "diet". It will fail. Instead, you need to take ice cream out of the house and replace it with yogurt. Make fried foods a rare meal around your house. If she feels the need to snack, try dried fruits or nuts instead of potato chips.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 7:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I'm just going off of what I know but... My DD is 11 years old, she is 5 feet tall and weighs 100 pounds and she has a little bit of extra tummy so I feel that 20 extra pounds on her would definitely make her overweight.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• if you can afford it, you should invest in a motion gaming system. I have the xbox360 and I like it best because it works with motion sensors and not a remote. So it's harder to cheat and you have to use your whole body. A bicycle is a cheaper alternative. It's hard work but it can be fun. Especially if you do it with her. Dance workout videos are fun and it will help her self esteem. If possible, a gym membership would be great. Most of them have free classes that come with the membership. Having people watch her will motivate her more to complete the exercise. I speak from experience and not to judge. I hope this helps.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 8:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• @ 5'6 a healthy weight for me is 130.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• when i was 13 i weigh more then that and
    but i was never 5ft tall i was 6ft and growing up
    at eighteen i was 150 at 53
    i am 150 so who to say if she is over weight but with winter we do gain weight by summer we lose all that
    give her time when she is older she will lose all that baby fat
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 8:22 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i disagree that you should let nature take it's course to lose her baby fat. She can develop health and mental problems way before then. You need to get rid of the unhealthy food around the house and start adding exercise to the home. You need to say that the whole family is going to start getting healthy. Do not single her out and tell her that she is overweight. Coming from her mother, that will only decrease her self esteem. She needs to know that you thinks she is beautiful and perfect just the way she is. And that's true. She needs to lose weight for health reasons. Not because she can't fit into a size zero.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 8:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2011