What are somethings I can do aoround the house to lower my electric bill?

HotMomma2622

Asked by HotMomma2622 at 7:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• sit in the dark. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• anon LOL! I have actually thought about that.

But really little things help. Turn down you water heater if its electric. Set you a/c or heat down to as low or high as you can take it. I run my a/c on a setting of 78 in the summer, and winter (harsh here) we do around 70-74 (depending on how cold it is). Turn off all the lights everytime you leave a room, turn off your computers, TVs and anything that uses electricity unless you need them. Make sure your place is insulated the best it can be.

Answer by gemgem at 8:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Hang clothes to dry or reduce your dryer time - don't leave things on when leaving a room - do laundry on cold - reduce your thermostat in winter and keep it warmer in summer
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:05 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Every thing you have plugged in is waisting electricity.. try unpluging thing when you are not using them like the microwave, cell phone chargers, lamps ect oh and i love nonoluna's idea
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 8:41 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• They say the fridge burns the most electricity. If it's on the highest settings maybe u can lower it by 1 number or just slightly lower it from where it is now. I did it; my fridge was on 6 coldest, I turned it to 5.5
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 8:49 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• We installed programmable thermostats - so they don't run all day when we are gone or at night when we are asleep under covers, but make the house warm/cold before we get home or wake up. It's shown an appreciable difference in our electric bill. We also are replacing our lightbulbs with more energy efficient ones as they burn out.
    When I was growing up, my parents did the "time of day" program with the energy company (you have to sign up for it). It meant that my parents agreed to use most of their electricity during "off peak" hours - during the summer they were between like 9 pm and 7 am so my mom did the laundry late, ran the dishwasher when we went to bed, etc. In the winter the off peak hours were between 1-4 pm and 11pm-6am or something like that. It worked for them/us at the time and their electric bill was much lower.

Answer by missanc at 8:53 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• 'unplug what you aren't using. Switch to energy efficient bulbs. Lights off during the day. had was dishes rather than use the dishwasher. Dry laundry loads one after the other this way the dryer isn't working to heat it's self up each time and keep the lint trap clean. turn off the air conditioner and open windows when the weather allows. In winter take advantage of a fire place if you have one. Invest in energy efficient curtains for the main living areas. They help block the heat during peak hours in summer and help keep the cold out in winter. Make sure your insulation is sufficient for your home size and check doors and windows for 'leaks'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• When I talked to my electric company they said the biggest things that would matter most would be, the You could unplug stuff but you really wouldn't see a difference, maybe a few dollars a year but nothing big, and I'd limit that to easy things in the kitchen etc,, not TV's cable etc.. Definitely turn lights out when not needed and the energy saving light bulbs help. But the dryer and thermostat ideas are best. I turn my thermo down during the day and up at night, i hang heavy things to dry and only run dryer til clothes are just dry not an hour cycle or whatever. Its better to have to put it back on then let it run 20 min over. The fridge thing was a good idea too.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• turn out lights when you leave the room, use energy saving light bulbs, unplug items when not in use, turn the thermostat down, adjust the fridge setting, and other appliance settings (like water heater), make sure doors and windows are snug and tight (and don't have leaks). If you are cold put on extra layers or bundle up in blankets- don't touch the thermostat. One thing I do is I have blankets in front of some of the windows (like the one next to my desk) and that really helps to block the cold and keep it out.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:56 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• The simpliest way is to not waste electricity. Shut off anything that is not in use even if you plan on returning the room soon. Start using more energy efficient light bulbs and, if possible, energy efficient appliances. Don't run the air conditioner in the summer.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2011