Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How can I help my son?

He is a freshmen in college and just told me that he is having a hard time consentrating. He says that he can only pay attention in class for about 10 minutes. He says that this has been going on since he was in 11th grade. I wish I knew about this when he was in high school because then I would have talked to his guidance counselor about it, now I'm not sure who to talk too. He has always done very well in school up until 11th grade, I blamed it on video games and now I'm not so sure what it is.

Answer Question

Asked by staceynoel at 8:07 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 12 (852 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Have him go to the doctor and explain what is going on. They can try and figure out what is bothering him.

    Answer by gemgem at 8:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

  • He needs to talk to his Doc then. That, and make sure he is getting enough sleep, eating well, exercise.... etc!!


    Answer by Crafty26 at 8:09 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

  • Most colleges / universities have an office set up to assist students who have challenges whether it's a physical challenge or concentration issues. Perhaps he can make an appointment there to talk about the troubles he's having and they can tell him what steps to take to get the support he needs.

    Answer by Nonoluna at 8:10 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

  • You should tell him to see a doctor. It sounds like he has the disorder ADHD or ADD. If so, they will prescribe him medication. He should try to make his doctor lean more towards Adoral rather than Viviance. Viviance has been associated with behavioral problems and the only reason it is popular now is because pharmacological companies are trying to make it the new million dollar drug. Many college students who do not have either disorder take Adoral because it helps them concentrate. For those without the disorder, it will also increase energy and help them stay awake when they have to study for midterms. I have too taken this drug and I finished a complete weeks worth a medical termanolgy homework in one night. If they do not diagnose him with either disorder, you should google "The Smart Pill." You will find many different websites to purchase. It is an over the counter drug, so no prescription is needed.

    Answer by TiffanieK at 8:22 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

  • This is the latest fad with college students because it does the same thing Adoral does and I believe it also increases memory. It is pricey but has gotten great reviews from college students. It is a great investment if it will help him focus through college and help to earn a degree. I hope this helps.

    Answer by TiffanieK at 8:24 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

  • I would suggest he see his doctor. Something may be bothering him, or he may have ADD. In the lower grades, kids with good memory skills often can overcompensate for ADD but when it comes time to really comes time to concentrate it can become more of an issue. Don't worry, there's a lot of great help out there.

    Congrats on your son communicating to you and letting you know what's troubling hiim. That's a great step!!

    Answer by KOR537 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

  • If he had ADD, there are tips that can help him. An ADD diagnosis does not mean he has to take medication. Take one step at a time and ask questions.

    Answer by KOR537 at 9:33 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

  • It sounds like attention deficient. I think you need to get him to go to a dr and get a diagnosis and maybe put on medication that will help him.
    God Bless,
    Billie Mae

    Answer by jesussaves58 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

  • Could be attention deficit disorder, or he may have anxiety as well. He should see a doctor/psychiatrist who specializes in this to first of all get a correct diagnosis. On the other side of the coin, are his grades faltering and he is just thinking up an excuse to get off the hook? I don't know your son so I can't really tell by this story...but you know how kids can be. Either way, I hope things get better. Good luck.

    Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

  • I had the same issue back when i was in the 5th grade. Come to find out the noise and sounds of the class room and the students would destract me from my work and learning. So what end up happening is the teach would make a copy of the less plan i guess you could say and i would put in ear plug and learn that way. And even in College i would get the page assignments then i would go back and reread the page and rules, of how to do thing.

    Answer by Manda725 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.