Making tie-dye Tshirts at home

Is there actually a dye these days that I can buy and use to make tie-dye Tshirts at home that is actually colorfast? Meaning the colors won't fade immediately? And maybe, just maybe, I wouldn't have to wash the tie-dyed stuff separately every time?

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 9:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Ya there is a simple technique (which I used to follow). Take a large mouthed container preferable aluminium one kept separately for this purpose. Put it on a stove with sufficient water in it in which the cloth gets soaked easily. Bring the water to a boil. Put the colour you want to use. Put half a fistful of common salt in it. Mix the colour & the salt properly in the container with the help of wooden stick. Wet the cloth properly along which you wish to dye. Soak the cloth in it. Take care that the cloth gets soaked evenly in the coloured water. (Hope you know tie-dye technique or if you are a first timer put small pebbles on a cloth & tie at various places before making the cloth wet for colouring)... mirror

AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 8:50 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• we tye died for the first time last year. i only washed separately the first time. i used the rit dye. we will do it again this summer, but this time, for the darker colors we will use at least 3 bottles of dye per bucket.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:10 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I did this for a birthday party when I was younger. We got regular clothes die and and put them in buckets so each kid could choose their colors. You twist areas of the shirt, as many areas as you want, and tie them with rubber bands into a knot then dip that twisted area into a color. You can use as many colors on one shirt as you like. Make sure it's not dripping wet, undo the rubber bands and hang them on a clothes line to dry. Me and my friends had a blast and wore our shirts to school.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 9:20 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• We did it for a birthday party. kids had fun, but it will stain their clothes they are wearing. You do have to wash separate on the first wash. You can find them at a craft store or  at Wal-mart.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I think you just need to make sure the dye is strong enough. Ohhh I think I know what I'll be doing later this summer when it warms up!
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 9:53 AM on Mar. 12, 2011