Is it wrong to let the baby watch TV?

I have a tone of homework and research to do on most days.

Do you think it is bad to let my eighteen month old watch video after video so I can get my work done?

She doesn't mindlessly watch TV all day, she plays and interacts and I take breaks and paly with her but if I am engrossed and she s quiet with her videos sometimes she'll watch for two hours straight.

Is this bad? What other independ play things can I have her do instead? Or is TV the best invention ever?

studentteach

Asked by studentteach at 9:29 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No.  Not bad.  I'm sure you know enough to not let it get out of hand and to play, read, exercise, also.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Ya of course... The baby's delicate eyes might not be able to tolerate so much of TV or videos, then there is too early an exposure to things though the child may not understand anything at all. It's good if you are putting videos as per the child's age. What you can do is give her toys and interactive games to play. You can give her dolls to play as well. TV can never be the best invention...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 9:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It's not bad at all. You're baby is at the stage where she absorbs everything. Put in some educational videos. The music, colors, shapes, and words are stimulating her. I'm a college student so my daughter watches a lot of educational t.v. when I don't have time to do workbooks with her. She is about 1-2 years ahead of where she should be, educationally speaking. You baby is doing just fine. Television is not like it was when you or I was a child. Now, most young children programs are based on a preschool learning system. You should put her in a play pin while she watches it. A lot of these shows encourage children to follow along. She can become more coordinated by watching some good programs for children.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 9:42 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• my kids have always watched tv pretty much as much as they want...of course they dont just sit in front of it all day, they're very active kids and would really rather be playing outside, but it never been something ive restricted. my kids have always had tvs in their rooms since about that age...it goes against all the "professional" advice, but both my kids have always been developmentally on track, my oldst is an honor roll student (youngest is not in school yet), and both their eyesight is fine.too much of anything is bad, but moderation is fine...it think its perfectly okay to pop in a few videos while you study...and your child will grow up seeing you work hard to get your education...my oldest just hinks that college is the next step after high school...he's 11 and doesnt see college as an option, he thinks its a requirement...lol...because he's always seen his father and i in school.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 9:52 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• A show or two/day is not a bad thing, but watching "video after video" is not good. She needs to be expanding her imagination, not relying on tv to do it for her. Educational toys and books would be much a much better choice. My 2 yo son loves his Little People toys and his Tag Jr and will spend a long time with it. When I went back to school, I did most of my work after my kids were in bed - which meant I survived for a couple years on little sleep but it got done!

Answer by missanc at 9:55 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No its not bad and dont feel bad that you turn the tv on. My 4 yr old is so much smarter than my niece (who gets little tv) because of shows like Dora and Diego and whatever else is on Nick Jr. We now have netflix instead of cable and she loves watching Leap Frog and is learning so much she doesnt watch it all day but does watch it and a lot of the time its background noise.
    My 13 month old loves veggie tales and barney and baby miracle if i need to get house work done ill turn it on or else shes clinging to me and crying. Honestly you can only "play" with a toddler for so long before you both get bored no matter how hard you try.
    Tv is fine!!!!!!
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 10:12 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Too much television can stunt brain development in young children. I know a lot of moms have their opinions, but research keeps coming back to this.

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/parenting/tv-watching-bad-babies-brains

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I dont think theres anything wrong with it but to much tv isnt good.. But its not like your not going to do something else with her.. My boys will watch a little tv then run around and play look and look at their books and have me or daddy read them
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 7:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• If you get down to all the nitty gritty about research about kids and tv you will find that little ones speech tends to be delayed when they watch tv. This is also true for children exposed to multiple languages and I personally found that my child was engaged in TV. He knew the characters and to some extent understood the plot. He was less than a year old and I heard him singing the ABCs to himself after seeing it on TV. The two biggest TV junkies I knew as a kid are now ivy league doctors and lawyers so I personally don't find the harm in some tv . I would give her toys while the TV is on and sit nearby so you can engage her during breaks. There were a few times where I didn't have money for a sitter but was able to "pay" a ten year old who was old enough to keep the baby entertained while I was in the same room but not old enough to be there unsupervised and $2 an hour was like double her allowance
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2011