Question about ovulation and conceiving?

Ok so I should probably know this since I am ttc but...I apparently don't or I am just confused! So I know ovulation happens close to the middle of the menstrual cycle....When exactly does conception happen? I went to www.whattoexpect.com and it had said that at about 5 weeks you will most likely get a positive result on an HPT. So does that mean 5 weeks from the first day of your last cycle? I'm just confused really...

Alcavin08

Asked by Alcavin08 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• You concieve in the middle of your cycle when you ovulate and the egg is there.... you usually can't tell by test unitl the hormone is high enough and that doesnt happen till after your missed period.... once your pregnant technically your pregnancy started the first day of your last period, which yes... no fertal egg... but same cycle. hope that makes sense :)
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:56 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It is confusing. It takes a few days for the sperm to reach the egg to be fertilized. Wait for your missed period and then a week or two later you should be able to tell. I stopped watching all those dates after 6 months of following and not having it work out. Had fun one night without any expectation since it was so early in the cycle and voila, we were successful.

Good luck!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 9:58 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I did research when TTC with my daughter. Start counting from the first day you get your period. You start ovulating on Day 14 and ti can last 2-5 days. Therefore, you can get a positive test result, yes you are right, about 4-5 weeks after you got your last period.
    We did the ovualation test kit and it explains all this. I am glad we did too, because I found out that I actually was ovulating about 4 days off from what I was calculating myself. Needless to say, one try with that kit and we got pregnant. Good luck!
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I am just trying to figure out dates and stuff since I think I have missed my period and stuff...I have tested this morning but I think I tested too early or something...not sure. Maybe I'm not pregnant and just have really bad PMS symptoms...(secretly hoping thats not the case though)
    Alcavin08

Comment by Alcavin08 (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I have done those ovulation predictors on the comp. just to get an estimated ovulation day and I went based on that. Also I have been having intercourse at the very least every other day some times everyday....I was hoping this would be the month. I still have hope though...I feel so bloated and my boobs hurt worse than they have like when I was about to start my period...Its really weird. And have been feeling nauseous and cramping on and off and headaches on and off as well and heartburn on and off....I'm really hoping I just tested too early...
    Alcavin08

Comment by Alcavin08 (original poster) at 10:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You could be! Every woman ovulates on a different day as each of us have a different number of days in our cycles. I am now a 29-30 day cycle (since m/c in January) and I used to be a 28 cycle for all of my life up until then.
    So, for me, now, I can ovulate approx. between days 16-19 so I am using the OPK's again as I did last year and it, along with charting my daily BBT's each morning, and watching for my fertile cm (watery-eggwhite consistency) helped me to pinpoint when I am actually ovulating.
    Good luck!
    miraclewaits

Answer by miraclewaits at 5:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• you ovulate after your period so 14-16 days after your period i normally have sex every other day soon as my period goes off
    shawnette123

Answer by shawnette123 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2011