Hi ladies! Our puppy has hurt her leg, please read and advise.

Our 6-month old chihuahua, Baby, took a flying leap off our front porch day before yesterday chasing a bird. It's only about a 2-foot drop, & she's done it before, but I think she must have landed funny. When Baby came back inside, we noticed that she was limping. The leg isn't swollen or hot, & she has pulses all the way down to her paw, but she's still not putting much weight on it & yelps if we touch it wrong, particularly around her thigh. We've been letting Baby rest, carrying her as much as we can, and wrapping the leg in an Ace bandage for about 12 hours a day. Our financial situation is quite tight, & we want to avoid a vet visit that ends in "Just let her rest, it'll heal" (don't you love those?), but of course we will take her if it becomes obvious that it's necessary. Can you ladies help me out with advice on how to treat her & if or when we should make a doggy doctor's appointment? Thank you so much!

KA91

Asked by KA91 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Pets

• I would think that if it's been 2 days and you aren't seeing an improvement, you may need to take her in to see what's going on. Good luck!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:00 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would recommend an appt with the vet.
    My pug broke her leg and had to have an operation and a pin put in.
    My friend's chihauhau did the same thing and had to be operated.
    Pets are not cheap.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:02 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It sounds like she needs to be seen by a vet.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• That sounds broken. Dogs don't really swell up like humans when they have a fracture. Chiuahuas are v ery fragile. She probably needs her foot set. I've seen them heal up without a vet and the leg becomes permanently useless, and in some states is considered abuse if it was because it's not treated. I know it's tight, but please take her in and tell your vet her situation. Good Luck.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Take her in. She needs help that we can't give her.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:26 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• if she is not letting you touch it or yelping when you do i would take her to the vet. being a little dog it is very easy for them to get fractures and other broken bones. :-/ I wouldn't wait too long bc if in fact she did break something it could heal wrong and you may be causing it to do so when you are wrapping it. I know finances are tough right now, see if you can do a payment plan. Most vets will if the bill is higher than $200. good luck momma hope she heals fast!
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• In my area there are expensive vets and reasonably priced vets that willing to work with your situation just call around... I completely understand your finacial situation... I cringe any time one of my dogs gets hurt.. I know its gonna cost me and it always happens when your short on funds...
    It could be a break, a dislocation or even a torn tendon. It doesn't have to swell to be serious... Give it a couple days, if she doesnt show signs of getting better you should take her in.. Dogs seem to not show how serious they are hurt or ill till it is almost to late... Ask the vet for just an x-ray so you can make an informed decision on how to treat it..
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 10:26 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• If you're strapped for cash, most vet offices have a vet available to give you a free, over the phone consultation. Tell them all the information you just wrote here and they should be able to tell you if you need to bring her in or not. GL and I hope Baby is okay. :(
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2011