He's schizophrenic & bipolar.....What exactly do these disorders ''make'' a person do?

I am currently talking to a childhood friend, he's in a mental hospital, but he seems so sweet, he's only a year younger than me. But i'm scared I might start to develop feelings for him. He's schizo and bipolar, and that worries me. I know he can't help it =[ He didn't do anything drastic to be put in there, he just thought he was someone he wasn't (witness of God) .... i don't want to judge him based on his illness, but at the same time i'm a little worried for my own sanity.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• The diseases mentioned are not contagious; however psychologically it depends on how your mental make up is. If you are not mentally very strong then go only once in a while and your visits should be short...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 10:07 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I know they aren't contagious, but i'm scared he might end up hurting me BECAUSE of his disease...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• If this guy is in a mental hospital receiving therapy for his condition, perhaps HE is in no position to have a relationship.. The guy is schizophrenic & bipolar.. Maybe he should concentrate on getting well instead of dealing with the added stress of a relationship.. Especially a relationship with someone who is already forseeing problems..
    Obi.Ren.Kenobi

Answer by Obi.Ren.Kenobi at 10:14 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I don't want a relationship with him, I was saying WHAT IF I started to develop feelings for him.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Well as someone with a son with extreme bipolar disorder I can say no he didnt ask for it. But be prepared if you do get involved because it can be a very very hard illness alone without adding a dual diagnosis such as your friend has. It is emotionally draining sometimes loving someone so much who has so many issues. I love my son and wouldnt turn my back on him but he has never had a successful relationship because of his disorder.

Answer by gemgem at 10:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would say since you are asking what if that you are already starting to develop feelings.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• What are you afraid of? People with mental illnesses are capable of having a relationship, but, like Obi.Ren.Kenobi said, perhaps HE is in no position to have a relationship.. Maybe he should concentrate on getting well instead of dealing with the added stress of a relationship.. Especially a relationship with someone who is already forseeing problems..

TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• gemgem, what exactly does your sons disorder involve? I know a little about it from reading online, but I don't understand it. If you want I can message you.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Well, I think it can't hurt to be friends. You will need to keep good boundaries to help you keep his mental illness from becoming something you feel responsible for.

With schizophrenia and bi-polar you will need to understand that the diseases can be well managed - often requiring medication. However, they are not "cured" and so it's important to keep up with treatment especially when he is feeling great. It's when the patient feels great and thinks they "don't need" treatment that they run the most risk of stopping their meds which could lead to them not feeling as stable.

When someone's problems are kept under control through treatment they can often lead wonderfully fulfilling lives. Many people with these diseases are excellent parents and loving spouses.

SO - that said, if you have the mental fortitude to handle your own boundaries I would invite friendship and see where it goes. IF the feelings develop it's OK.
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You can message me if you want. Its really too long to put down on these messages.

Answer by gemgem at 10:29 AM on Mar. 11, 2011