budget

please help me to create a great family budget.......I know there are sights out there..i just want simple ,,,,,,,,,,I only have 800.00 every 2 weeks and have 3 kids,,,,,im talking food,,household goods ,,basic needs..thank you . ps ..the 800 every 2 weeks is left after all bills are paid inc car and mortgage....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Money & Work

• How much do you spend on food a week when you are being very careful? Are utilities and gas for the car included in the $800? What other items do you need in your budget- clothing? medical? savings? home upkeep? entertainment?

Answer by Bmat at 8:32 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• You need to set aside around $150 a week for groceries, tp etc. That leaves you $500. Put back $50 every two weeks into a savings account so you can it for emergencies and dont touch it. That bring your total to $450. Set back $100 every two weeks for gas/car stuff. That brings u to $350. Put back around $100 for entertainment/eating out (movie rental, mcdonalds etc). Thats $250. Then hold onto the rest of the $250 for emergencies.

Answer by gemgem at 8:35 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• thank you guys so much!!!,and yes utlities are paid before the 800.00...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Youre welcome. Remember as much as you can put back the better. My dh lost his job last June and we had been putting back as much as we could and thank God for that. We ended up with a little over 5 months in salary in the bank. You never know in this economy what can happen. So even if you have extra money try not to spend it. Just save save save. And even if your dh or you never lose a job that can be your retirement money or nest egg saving.

Answer by gemgem at 8:50 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• well this will be hard, but ill try.....we live in ma ,,,,,so expensive i spend 400 a week between food and toiletries and household products..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• There is a worksheet on DaveRamsey.com that you can use to set up your budget. Or you can use Quicken or the like to track your spending.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I definitely agree with putting up a set amount every 2 weeks so it becomes a habit. You NEVER know when something is going to happen. I would actually open an educational IRA for your children and put $50 every two weeks in each of their accounts, $50 in your general savings, and $50 in for retirement. It still leaves you $600 for gas, groceries, entertainment and spending money every 2 weeks. Not too shabby. My SO and I have it arranged so that right off the top of our checks, a percentage goes to savings. When I wanted to take a year off from work to be home with our daughter, the money was there for me to do so without affecting our budget. Money is really powerful.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I was also going to suggest the Dave Ramsey website. Also there is a group on here, Dave Ramsey Fans, that you can join and the worksheets are on the group posting.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:21 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I also suggest Dave Ramsey. He is a little hardcore for some, but that is what I need. I have dug myself out of a major hole since listening to him and reading his book. He has saved me financially.
    Anonymous

• you have 800 every 2 weeks after bills..... and you need to make a budget??? Wow.....

Thats not bad.. I want your job lol... Just prioritize....
    tyree08

Answer by tyree08 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2008