Mixed blessing?

My daughter got proficient in everything, none of the advanced and I feel mixed blessing:

She was graded previously basic in everything. Her school reading level is I (16). The teacher told her she is a good student. The director wrote - a good job on her report card.

Seem like nothing to worry and I need to be satisfied.

Yet my daughter reads at level M (28) at home and write and read much more than expected (certified tutor confirms that) and I think having genuine difficulty in math (California Standard test, does not show this, though, having 100% correct).

Other kids who seem to read and write worse than her graded higher and noticed by the teacher, given a lot more of the positive feedback, a lot more of advancement and so.

My daughter hates school, reads the smallest book she can get away with, struggles with math and so...

Yes, many other children felt behind with this teacher, she didn't, but this because she did not have single free minute for the past six months...

The teacher still 'forgets' her into reading practice, harms her sel esteem badly- last time she made my daughter to share test with other child and told my daughter that she won't be able to do it alone like everyone else.

Every other's child art was chosen to be put in library, food store or other places within community, only my daughter's and other the same 3-4 children was not.

Yes, I do feel relieved, but with a lot of bitter inside. Sigh...What do you think, am I too demanding and just need to be satisfied?

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you have concerns about why the child is being treated differently I would go to the principal and if not happy there then go to the school board.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:54 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would not be concerned about standardized tests. They don't measure much and are taken way too seriously. I know kids that are straight A students who score low on the tests, because they are not good test takers. I know kids that are horrible students but score advanced on the tests, because they ae good test takers.

As for the rest, you need to set up a meeting with the principal and teacher. Have evidence of what is going on. Stay calm, don't accuse. You will get much farther with the principal if you are calm, respectful and have evidence. I have been there and that is what works best. If that doesn't work then just mention you will be contacting an attorney and they will change their ways quickly.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I did, the principal backed up the teacher, stating that several incidents were just circumstantial and the teacher did not do any of these intentionally.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I already contacted attorney and they stated that my daughter is more than 6 months in the school and it is too late to file the discrimination law suite. ;-(.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It is heart breaking when a child is not liking school and self-esteem is negatively impacted. If I felt my child were being left out and his needs not met then I would be talking to his teacher. And recently I did. I did not think my child's academic progress was where I thought it should be. I addressed the concern with his teacher and then later head of school. His teacher was nice and respectful, was truthful from her point of view, but I still it was not resolved so we had to address it with the head of school. Besides academic needs there were some emotional/cultural needs not being met either. I was not satisfied with my child's teacher's response but she wasn't rude or deliberately hurtful. She just wasn't aware of how important our concerns were and why it is important to make a few changes on her end. Ultimately is was taken care of to our satisfaction and with little time involved.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Id talk to the principal
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I did... several times...Now principal saying that she did enormous progress and finished grade level earlier, there is nothing he can do. All teacher does is situational and have no intention to hurt the child...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I agree on talking to someone higher up. If principal doesn't listen, go higher.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• If it is the same children being left out all the time then it is intentional, go to the superintendent.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 8:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I read this several times before I have decided to comment.
    I am making my comments based on being a teacher for 21 years...Grades 3-6 Catholic/Public.
    I first of all disagree with some of the remarks about testing...If she is in a public school...They are VERY important. They are supposed to measure what a student knows, after many hours of practice in the classroom.
    The last school I taught in was public...I taught bilingual..The test was pure word problems and over the year I worked very hard with my students to TAKE THE TIME to work through a word problem...and when they tested at the end of the year, it was disappointing because I knew I did my job...They refused to key into what the question the word problem was looking for. They had four choices...It made them THINK and they reverted back to old habits...I was crushed...
    Where is her difficulty in Math? It just isn't the four operations anymore...Word problems...
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 2:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2011