Loss of Longevity

Can anyone explain the shortening of lifespans w/out using the "dented cake pan" analogy?

Did everyone in the OT have 900+yr lifetimes or was it just select people who were granted such extreme longevity?

If it was everyone; why have we gone from 700-900yr lifetimes to 70-90yr?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think they may have measured time or age differently back then. Or perhaps the claims of people living that old were really just meant to infer they lived long lives?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Humans never lived for 900+ years, that is just a story in a book of fables which were intended to explain the philosophy and history of man according to a specific set of "principles". It doesn't mean it's true.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• This is the problem with taking the bible literally.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:16 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I don't take the bible literally or even know if it's "history" or a fable or a combination of the two. But I've had plenty of people tell me (obviously) it is the truth. But their only explanation is that you can't get a perfect cake from a dented pan and that over time the imperfection compounds...this makes sense in the baking world perhaps but not in terms of people or souls; at least not to me. So I was just wondering if anyone had a better explanation or if it really was just bunk.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

•  Don't believe everything you read.  People live longer now than they ever did before.  No one has lived 700 years. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:30 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• People live longer now than ever because of medical advances and diseases that use to kill them then are curable now.

Answer by older at 11:52 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• The biggest reason is because the environment and climate were so much different in Biblical days than now. There was not all the pollutants, chemicals, and everything else that ends our lives prematurely these days. I have no doubt people lived to 900 years+, would be interesting to, back then. Not so sure I'd want to in this day and age, but they did back then.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• One explanation I've read on this was that in the Bible it mentions an expanse of water above the earth (Genesis 1:6-7) which would have blocked much of the radiation that hits the earth now creating more ideal living conditions. During the Flood, the expanse of water was poured out and the life spans of subsequent generations were markedly shorter than those that came before. I've also heard of the genetics becoming more and more imperfect as the population grew, but that may be the "dented cake pan" theory that you don't like.

Answer by missanc at 1:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• After watching a History channel program I am convinced that those long-lived bible characters--if they existed at all--were extra-terrestrial visitors. The average lifespan in biblical days was about 35 yrs. according to archeological examinations of ancient remains. Even in Amercia, the lifespan in the 1800's was an average of 50 yrs. which was an INCREASE from the average 30 short years in the 1700's and which is short compared to the modern 90 yrs. average. We are living longer and that has more to do with modern science and medicine than it has to do with any imaginary deities.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 4:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• sin
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2011