Have you ever heard his myth?

When I was little my grandma always said that a cat will get on top of a sleeping baby and rest their mouth on the baby's and steal the baby's breath until it dies.. I always thought it was a silly myth... I laid my baby in his cradle while I went potty and when I came back, my SIL's cat was IN the cradle lying on top of my son with her mouth resting on his!!! OMG! My stomach felt like it hit the floor and the hair on the back of my neck stood on end!

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 8:50 AM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Just for Fun

• wtf?
    vivalaham

Answer by vivalaham at 2:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• How is your baby?
    MiryamSchechter

Answer by MiryamSchechter at 8:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• yeah I have heard it and it isnt true. I have cats too and saw them do that once or twice and punished the cat. My baby is ok shes 19 and the cat didnt steal her breath. In fact heres a funny for you. My dd was born with black hair. My cat was also black. After a couple weeks I kept finding these black hairs in the crib and I was CERTAIN it was my cat bc my grandma told me the same story. OMG I was so pissed. I threw the cat outside for a couple weeks and then still saw the hair. It was then I realized my dd had a bald spot and it was HER hair in the crib. I felt so bad for my cat but laughed at myself for believing old wives tales.

Answer by gemgem at 8:53 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Ya ya ya so cats like babies but they arent gonna take the breath and kill your baby.. Its such a myth...
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 8:55 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• He's fine.... it just scared me and brought scary thoughts. Lol. I gasped and that cat just about hit the ceiling!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 8:57 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Oh but be careful my friends cat ate off the babies umbilical cord. She had to take the baby to the hospital.. The baby is ok
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 8:58 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• those oxygen sucking theives!!! lol.

no really...kitty shouldnt lay on baby, but they wont 'steal their breathe'
    EmilyRoseLovett

Answer by EmilyRoseLovett at 8:58 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• It is a big Tale what is. they smell the the milk on the babys breath and they lay there as if they can tast it i ask my vet about my cat would cralw in to the bed with my daughter and just snif her mout then lay down by her and go to sleep him self
    momto5432

Answer by momto5432 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I've always had a cat around my kids and no they don't steal their breathe! Most just love to smell the formula.
    bagjmama

Answer by bagjmama at 9:24 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I agree with bagimama...they're after the milk or formula, not your baby's breath...but I'd be watching that cat. I had to get rid of one of my cats (I don't know what is politically correct for a cat, but he was honestly and truly "challenged" from taking adult antibiotics as a kitten) because he wouldn't leave my baby alone. He was never aggressive to her or anything, he loved her, but I wasn't going to risk him smothering her or something.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:28 AM on Nov. 23, 2008