2 month shots...ahh

My son is scheduled to get his first set of shots at his 2 month appointment tuesday. I'm soo nervous. I can't stand the thought of my baby crying in pain let alone actually seeing & having him go through it. Also, I'm terrified of reactions to the vaccines because my cousin had many problems after vaccines and just passed away last year. Any knowledge on the safest way to have the shots done or on immunizations all together? I was told to only get one at a time incase of reactions. I also heard terrible things about the Rotavirus vaccine, especially with a baby who has gastrointestinal issues and we believe our boy has GERD/reflux. Any information or personal experiences will be greatly appreciated!

-lovingliam-

Asked by -lovingliam- at 11:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can choose to delayed vaccinations. dr sears has a good book about a vaccine schedule or you can choose not to vaccinate is your baby
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My daughter just had hers done last week and I posted because I was freakin out too. There was nothing wrong with her. She cried with the poke, but had no reaction whatsoever to her shots. Not any swelling, no fever, wasn't abnormally tired. Don't freak yourself out. The immunizations are better than the diseases that he could get without them. Be calm, and baby will pick up on it. Calm mommy= calm baby!
    cailynsmommy626

Answer by cailynsmommy626 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• If you're worried, you can hold off, if you'd like. If I was as concerned as you are, I would absolutely wait until I was more sure about them. I didn't do the rotateq with either of my kids, it wasn't available when my oldest was born, and I chose not to get it for my youngest.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• u can join the educate before u vax group on here! they are very helpful with lots of info on vaccines! alot of the ladies do a delayed schedule!!! i wouldnt b rushed into anything!! u can always get the shots done later but u can never take them back! do ur research then decide!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Mine had reflux up to 11 months. She never had any reactions to the vaccines and I didn't split them. Other than a mild fever the day of.

I would also request a topical numbing agent so there is less pain for the baby.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It's sad but very very rarely the vaccines can cause problems. But if you look at the other option, which is not getting them vaccinated at all, you're taking the lesser risk. You're child has a much higher chance of dying of the measles without getting his shots that dying by getting shots. There is a reason people live substantualy longer now than at any other time. I make my mother take my daughter to get her shots because I can't handle it. She was in the hospital yesterday and had to get an IV, I cried more than she did and made it worse for her. If you can't handle it, maybe you should get another family member to take him, or make sure if you're going to get upset he doesn't see your face until you've put yourself back together.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 11:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My son has pretty bad acid reflux, but we have never had any problems, complications, or reactions to the Vaccinations and he will be 11 months old this month. If you have concerns I would talk to the Ped before the shots, they have tons of information that will help you!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I always managed to time the appointments so they happened right before a feeding. Neither of my children liked the shots in their thighs, but as soon as the nurse was done and had the bandaids on my kids got to nurse. I'd just cover them up with a blanket because they were usually just in their diaper. The injection sites were a little sore for the rest of the day, and sometimes they were a little more sleepy, but they were fine.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:41 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My daughter had reflux till around 7 months. My kids did just fine with their Vax, I just gave them tylenol or motrin an hour before their appointment
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I vaccinate according to the CDC schedule but if I had concerns, I would check out Dr. Sear's Vaccination Book and I would probably go by his recommendation.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2011