Whats the best way to clean the straw in a toddler straw cup?

So my daughter uses the straw cups and I noticed this morning there was gunk in the straw that I got out, but it was on the top. So I started thinking about whats gonna happen when there is stuff in the middle of the straw that I cant reach with a toothpick or something.

CavMamma

Asked by CavMamma at 9:58 AM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Target sells a basket that you can put in the dishwasher that holds the straws upright. I think it is made by munchkin. It works great for us. The only bad thing is that the things that hold the straw get loose over time but I have used it for a few years and it is only 3 or 4 dollars I think, so I was gonna get a new one soon.

Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I have the basket Witer711 mentioned, but I didn't always have a dishwasher. Pipe cleaners work well, or in a pinch, run hot water through them or better yet, boil them.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Dr. Brown's bottles have these special cleaners to clean the straw of the bottle. They kind of look like a pipe cleaner on a stick. They get inside and scrub really well. You can pick them up at any store. My guess is that it will work exactly the same way.
    Pregowithsecond

Answer by Pregowithsecond at 1:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2008