Raising a gentelmen

I do not have any boys but I do have nephews and I am always complaing because they're not gentelmen. So my questions are for those of you who are raising boys.

1. Is it important to you that your boys are gentelmen?
2. What kind of things have you taught them that are considered traits of a gentelman?
3. As your sons have grown, have they become less gentelmenly?

cecyh9

Asked by cecyh9 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I raised my boys like missanc above - they are 29, 24, and 13. I have to work on the 13yo at times, but he's getting there. Funny story - my 24 yo and I were watching a basketball game (he was probably about 20 at the time) - our team made a major mistake and in the heat of the moment, my son shouted "what the hell was that?" He immediately got a hold of himself, looked at me like a deer in headlights and said, "Mom, I'm sorry, I just got caught up in the game!" I laughed my tail off because he looked so mortified!!! Oh, boy that was a funny moment. Yeah, raising gentlemen is important.
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 9:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• 1. Is it important to you that your boys are gentelmen? Yes

2. What kind of things have you taught them that are considered traits of a gentelman? Being polite and respectful to everyone, opening doors for women, walking on the outside of the sidewalk, standing when a lady approaches the table, they don't cuss so watching their language isn't an issue, ladies first, etc but that's all I can think of right now.

3. As your sons have grown, have they become less gentelmenly? They are only 2 and 11 so I haven't noticed any less than gentlemanly behaviors - my husband is a gentleman and I expect them to follow suit.

Answer by missanc at 1:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It's important to me. My son is only 3, so mostly at this point it's just using good manners and being polite, but since he does copy his Daddy a lot I am sure he is learning a lot of things by example.  I expect him to do things like open and hold doors for ladies and elderly people and to offer to lend assistance when he can.  I also expect him to be respectful of women.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It's very important to me to raise my sons as polite, considerate, and caring gentlemen. They are only 4 and 2, but they know that boys don't hit girls, and that girls go first. lol They also know it's polite to hold doors and to help their sisters when they can. As they get older, we will teach them the rest, but for now, that is a good starter.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• my ds is 3 but we are working on manners and being nice to girls right now. daddy and i have explained that he is to play nice with me and he already tries to help a lot. i am sure as he starts school and is growing up, we will be teaching him more
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• These three answers have made me smile! For some reason it makes me proud to know that this is important. I ride the bus everyday and I see these teen age boys (and girls) who have no respect. Thier mouths are horrible and thier manners just as horrible! No one get's up and offers thier seat to the elderly or pregnant women.
    cecyh9

Comment by cecyh9 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2011