What makes people have big babies (like 8 pounds or bigger)

I have always wanted like a 6 or 7 pound baby cause they are so tinny, but my kids are 8.1 and 8.7 and my last appointment 3 weeks ago I was 14 weeks pregnant my ob told me that this baby is already looking bigger than my others were. Is it what you eat that makes the baby bigger or does it go by the family? If it is like hareditary does it go by the mom or dads side? Because my family was all small around 5 or 6 pounds. although dh was a twin and him and his sister were both 7 pounds when they were born. Don't bash for the question I asked I am not trying to find a way to make my baby smaller I was just wanting to know what makes them big.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was 8 pounds plus at birth and all three of my kids were over 8 pounds. My biggest was 9.9.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It's luck of the draw! Unless the momma has gestational diabetes which can make a baby really big, but not always healthy. My son was born a week early and weighed in a 8.12lbs. He was a MOOSE. My daughter was born about 4 days early and weighed 6.15lbs, she was a BREEZE to deliver. Was awsome
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• sometimes babies are just bigger. i was a little over 7 pounds, my oldest was 6 pounds 1 ounce and was a wee bit early , my youngest was 8 pounds 1 ounce and was a few days late. sometimes the mom gets gestational diabetes and the baby also becomes larger, sometimes resulting in c sections.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I was 6lbs, there dad was 5lbs. Some of his family had big babies. oldest dd was 10.7 youngest was 9.2, with first i ate chipotle all the time lol with 2nd i lost weight,...its weird
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i am not sure. my ds was 8 lbs 4oz and my dd was 9lbs 3oz. i didny have any issues for them to be that big. doctors dont know they were that big. lol
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I heard that birth weight and size depends solely on the mother's genetics but the looks and how big the baby gets as an adult is mostly on the father.
    kandimomma

Answer by kandimomma at 1:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I had always heard it was genetics, but I was 6 lbs 6 oz and my ex was 7 lbs, my oldest was 8 lbs 9 oz - biggest baby ever on either side so I don't have any idea!

Answer by missanc at 1:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No idea not always true that a mother with gestational diabetes will have a big baby I had GD with my daughter and she weighed 6lbs , was a week late. have noticed that boys always tend to weigh more then girls though whether or not mom had GD
    kjade226

Answer by kjade226 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It has to do with the genetics of BOTH the Mother & Father AND the amount of fatty foods you eat during the pregnancy.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• both mine were girls
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2011