Do you keep a gun in your home?

Hubby wants to get one because he works night shift. I am still on the fence about it. Just wondering how many families keep a gun in their homes......

CaseyErin

Asked by CaseyErin at 12:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yep everyone knows I am usually packing. My dh works nights and I live in the country basically so I dont want to be caught at home alone and have someone break in. I was also raised around guns and taught all about them young. My dad is a retired marine and thinks all people should know how to use one properly and know gun safety. If you plan to get one I would advise you to take one or two even safety classes, get a gun safe to keep the gun in. I also keep ammo and the gun separate unless its in my purse. My husband is 100% against guns but he had no real choice coming into the relationship. Its part of who I am and how I was raised. My kids can also fire a gun and know gun safety. I pity the fool who tries to break into our place.

Answer by gemgem at 12:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• We have a shotgun, I know how to use it, and it's kept unloaded during the day. I load it at bedtime after our boys are in bed, and keep it next to my bed, and unload it in the morning before they get up. We also have a 106 lb German Shepherd that will go out first if I hear anything. We live in the country, and there are known meth heads in the area so we're not taking any chances. My Husband works away from home 4-6 weeks at a time so we feel it's important to know how to protect ourselves. I don't care about my house, or belongings, it's my children I will protect at all costs...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I don't have any guns in my home and never plan to.
    Anonymous

• Yes, but hubby is a police officer. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't.
    Anonymous

• Nope, we don't hunt so no reason. The only way a gun would be effective for you with your hub working nigths is if you actually knew how to fire it AND you would have to keep it loaded and by you at all times. An empty hand gun locked in a gun safe with the bullets put elsewhere won't do you a damn bit of good
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• yes we do. my hubby is a correctional officer but we had one before then:)
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I am afraid of guns. But i am more afraid of my kids getting a hold of it.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I have no desire for a gun in my home. I'm not fearful of them, and I know how to fire weapons I just don't see the need to have one for protection.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Damn Skippy I do. Break into my house and will not be leaving alive. We have 4 Rifles 3 Shot guns & a pistol. Rifles & Shotguns are kept loaded in the electronic safe we have in DH cloest, with a child proof doorknob. The pistol is kept in a secert compartment in our bed. It is loaded but with safety on. My dad was a correction officer & Army. When he past he left me with everything, he left me with enough for a small milita. I don't play about the safety of my family. I'm totally serious about gun saftey but I believe every house hold should have one. Legally! And I know all the rules for breaking & entering in my state. Example: GA, they have to be in your house, armed & you can't shoot them if they are facing away from you. Honestly Idc. My kids rooms are on the other side of the house. The only way I'd be able to shoot them is in the back if they are going for my kids.
    Take the tv etc, touch my kids and die!

= )
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• We have both hunting rifles and a hand gun. We also have both done safety courses and keep them put up in a lock box(for the handgun) and a gun cabinet for the rifles. Our kids know that they should never touch a gun and if they see one to get an adult quickly.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2011