Im so nervous for labor

anyone else have you done birthing classes or heard if they help!!!

ChanQ

Asked by ChanQ at 12:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You hear the dramatic tales of the horror. Some people are dead set on going natural, I was dead set on getting as many painkillers as possible. If you take the worst period cramps you had in your life and double them thats about as bad as it gets with an epidural and the pain isn't constant it comes in waves. Ya, it wasn't super pleasant but with medication it honestly wasn't the worst pain I had ever been in (and if it was I don't remember). I took a birthing class and it eased my mind a little because I knew what to expect. Regardless of whether you are going natural or taking what they will give you bring a comfy pillow of your own, slippers and something to walk in the hallway with and tell the admitting nurse your mindset and your fear level so they can take extra care to help you through.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i read the book "birthing from within" and it was really wonderful!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I didn't do birthing classes with either kids. I, too, was terriffied of labor with my first child. But I was lucky and ws able to get epidurals with both kids, made it a much more pleasant experience....But I know some women who had Doulas and went to birthing classes and according to them, it helped alot, especialyl since they wanted drug free deliveries....personally I was all about the drugs lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i Hve never taken any classes but i wish i could have.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i never took birthing classes, my first was the only one delivered vaginally and the epidural made the experience much more enjoyable. you should definitely look into classes though if you think it would help alleviate your anxieties about labor =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• well everyone is anxious and scared about it . I did it all natural with no meds epidural whatever and to this day I dont even remember the pain
    kjade226

Answer by kjade226 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• birthing classes might ease your nervousness some but its not abnormal to feel nervous. Read as much as you can about it as well.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 2:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• There are lots of things you can do to prepare, classes are one good way.
    Reading, using a birth doula, having great prenatal care, etc., helps.
    :-)
    best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I took birthing classes with my 1st. I think everyone should go through them at least once. The only thing I walked away being thankful for was the tour of the L&D. When in labor remember to breath. This is where you learn about pain options and to let you know there are more options for pain managment not just the epi.
    When I was pregnant with my 2nd child I had changed hospitals so I called for a private tour and consultation. I prefer that.
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No birthing classes here. but i read alot & researched alot at home "ina may gaskin guide to childbirth" -- or most likely anything by her is FABULOUS! Just reading that book lead my entire thinking process about L&D in a totally new direction... I am a woman. my body was made to do this! Going thru L&D is a very impowering experience really if you let it be...

Ive read to BE CAREFUL on birthing classes-- some make you fear birth & push medicine to help you.. So make sure they are the birth loving kind.. find a doula/midwife in your area & see if they have, or can refer you to classes..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2011