Neighbors and their dog.....

I have no idea what to do about this. We live in a two story duplex. We moved in three weeks ago, and the family that was here before us had been here for 5 years. They were friends with the neighbors and the people in the next duplex over, but we don't know any of these people. The back yards are fenced and split for each residence, and there's a gate going between them. We have 2 smallish dogs that are very laid back and do not bark. They have a Rottweiler that barks CONSTANTLY at our dogs, trying to get to them all the time, no matter what they are doing. They do not bark back, and do not go near the fence, and most of the time when the neighbors' dog is barking, they are laying down on our back patio. The Rott has nearly torn down the chain link and gate between the two yards, and now I can't even let my kids play back there for fear of the neighbor's dog getting loose. It barks and runs back and forth the entire time my dogs are out to play or potty, and if I step out back, it goes WILD. I have tried to bring it up with them, but they blame my dogs for 'getting her started', even though they acknowledge that my dogs do not bark at theirs or make any noise beyond playful yips at each other. What can I do here? I am at a loss because my experience with these people has not been very good so far, and we have to live next to these people for at least the next year, possibly longer. Help!

lovingmy4babies

Asked by lovingmy4babies at 12:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Pets

• I would be concerned. It sounds like an accident waiting to happen. And I happen to like rottweilers. However, this dog sounds a little threatening. It is guarding and territorial. I would not allow my children or small dogs to be on the other side of this fence, with any reactive dog like that.

It is a tricky situation because you will not earn the favor of your neighbors. Clearly they need to have better control of their pet, and be more considerate of their neighbors who might really not like to have a 60+ pound animal charging the fence at them every time they step into their yard.

So, I would give a last chance and try to discuss this matter. Be direct, tell them you are uncomfortable with the dog's behavior and want to work with them. Ask if they can agree to not leave the dog alone outside unsupervised when you are in your yard perhaps? If not, then you need to call the management & animal control.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• The first thing I would do is contact the landlord. Let him/her talk to them about bringing their dog in. Although I'm wondering if the landlord knows they have the dog because most insurance companies don't allow rottweilers. None of this is going to end up with you having a good relationship with your neighbors unfortunately. If they weren't open to doing anything when you talked to them, then anything else you do is going to further alienate them.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• The landlord, and local animal control. As constant barking is not allowed where I am, ANd the fact that their dog is violent and tearing down the fence and scaring your kids, how can that be ok???
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Even take a small video of their dog doing his thing, and take it with you to whoever(animal control) or the landlord, and ask them what they thing you should do. ANd would THEY enjoy living beside that.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Until you get this situation resolved you could always take your dogs for a walk to potty and excersise. Not offering this is a solution to the problem, just something you could do until you feel safe letting your dogs into the yard.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Your dogs may not be making any nois but they could be sending some sort of message with their body language or if they make eye contact with the other dog. I am not trying to take their side just throwing that out there because many times things get missed because people don't know dog language or understand dog behavior. The Rottie is being territorial and basically fence fighting. Is the Rottie outside all the time? If so I feel bad for that dog because s/he is probably not getting much interaction with people and probably very littel excersise if any. That in itself can cause a dog to act out. I would say something to management about this dog. You might trying getting one of those things that curb barking even for neighborhood dogs. There is one that looks like a bird house.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Great ideas so far. I'm not the only one in the neighborhood bothered by the constant barking- it's going on like 20 feet from our neighbor on the backside's back door. I'll try getting a video of it when she starts up again. I'm not sure of the situation, but she does stay out a LOT- mine are only going out to potty and for an hour or so in the afternoon to play and run off some energy. And I totally understand about how they could be giving off signals and whatever, but every time I check on them from my upstairs window, which has a clear view of both yards, my dogs are either off to the other side playing, or on the patio waiting to be let in on their little pillow by the door. They pretty much ignore her. When we first moved, they were both terrified to go out because of her, and they still give the fence plenty of leeway. This poor dog has worn a track on the ground by the fence because she is so anxious and frantic.
    lovingmy4babies

Comment by lovingmy4babies (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2011