How do you keep your house clean with a 1-4 yrs old **UPDATED**

I got to admit I'm not a neat freak but I do keep my house clean. I have a 3 yrs old little boy named Mason who is a little monkey LOL This boy gets into EVERYTHING lol. I will be cleaning the livingroom and he'll be going through the toy box and all the toys are on the bedroom floor. We live in a condo so it's not like he's too far out of my view. He's 3 and helps me vaccuum and washes windows with me [it's kid of cute] but boy does he love to take his trucks EVERYWHERE in this house.

How do YOU keep your house neat with little munchkins running around from one room to another? [i'm not looking for advice on my situation iwant to know how YOU keep it clean]

Jersey_class

Asked by Jersey_class at 1:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Only between the hours they are asleep.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Get them involved in what you are doing. Make it a game - turn on music and see who can pick up more toys in the length of one song, or set a timer and see if he can put everything in the box in 3 minutes.

Answer by missanc at 1:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You cant. At least I cant. My two year old refuses to help at all and makes such a mess! She also wont let me clean while she is awake, it bothers her and she will hang on my leg. I also find that my husband is a huge source of mess and not a huge source of help. I have decided that our house is just going to be messy sometimes. It isnt bothering them so I have stopped letting it bother me so much.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i love your honesty amber
    Jersey_class

Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You can limit access to some things. I keep my twins toys in plastic bins with lids in a locked closet. I get out only a few at a time and they have to pick those up and exchange them for something else when they want to play with something different. You can also make cleaning a game and involve him in that. Try to get him to clean in the same room you are working in and then give him a treat if he is a good helper. My twins are pretty good at dusting or wiping down bottom cabinets.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I don't - that's how! LOL
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Jersy, gotta admit, I snorted when I read your question!

Best thing I found to do was limit the amount of stuff available TO take out. Have a few things out where he can get at them. The rest is out of sight, out of mind.

My son taught me why my mother had a separate play room for us with a TV... it kept the mess contained!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I love Amber's answer, too. My husband makes TEN times the mess my son can make. I stick with the stuff that matters and keep on top of the kitchen. THe rest? When I get to it, or when HE gets to it.

We will NEVER make House Beautiful.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My daughter is 3 and loves to help me clean. She says she's mommys helper. She has a small toy box in every part of the house and knows when she's done with something to put it in the box. once she's tucked in to bed, I go through the boxes and put everything where they belong. So technically things are out of place but it looks clean. :) (and yes I have found keys, my sunglasses, an iPod shuffle that didn't belong to me, and a dish rag in those boxes just happy to get them back.)
    Cosetterose

Answer by Cosetterose at 8:40 AM on Mar. 13, 2011