My daughter's birthday is on Sunday. She REALLY wants a three story barbie house with an elevator and jacuzzi. I want her to have everything I didn't have as a child but I feel she won't appreciate it past a couple of days. This thing will cost me $160. Should I spend my money or save it for when I see she cares more about her belongings? Oh, she'll be 4.

KoolMom617

Asked by KoolMom617 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I got my dd one at 3. She takes pretty good care of it. I saw it as an investment since they stay into barbies awhile.

Answer by gemgem at 1:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would go ahead and spend it - she'll most likely be out of Barbies before she will truly be able to appreciate it!

Answer by missanc at 1:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• If you had a little more time you could probably have found one on Craigslist or in a thrift shop for cheap.

Honestly I wouldn't spend that much money for a doll house. A couple years ago my daughter wanted one of those Loving Family doll houses. My in-laws got it for her for Christmas, then for her birthday a few months later everyone gave her furniture for it. She only played with it for a few weeks and now she doesn't touch it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Amazon.com has it for $138.72 with FREE with Super Saver Shipping. (Barbie Pink 3-Story Dream Townhouse). I would buy it and that would be her big present then some inexpensive things.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My daughter wanted one for years, I finally got her one for christmas 2 years ago. OMGoodness when she ripped off the paper she was amazed! It was one of those priceless momments! It was alot of money for me and I could have used it on something else but I am sooooooooooooooooo happy I got this for her! She's an only child so she doesn't play with it very often but when her friends come over they truley enjoy it! I also want my daughter to have everything I didn't and it's very important to me that I try to make her dreams (and wishes) come true (I do this for my whole family). It brings me great joy! :D
    cecyh9

Answer by cecyh9 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I had a Barbie house with an elevator and a swimming pool that held real water!! It was great! I played with that almost every day!!!! But I do think that 4 is too young for that. Those things can break and u will probably feel like u should have waited.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would invest in a smaller one until she is able to be more responsible with the small pieces personally.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would go ahead and get it now, because who know's when time comes for when she IS ready to have it, you won't have the money for it or whatever reason. I played with barbies, i'm sure til I was about 8, I was so fascinated with dressing them, doing there hair and decorating the barbie house. My friend and I made our own doll house, I loved painting it, making my own room and etc....i'm sure even at 4 she'll get great use out of it.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• A 4 year doesn't know what she really wants. I sure didn't. Why blow that kind of money on something that is going to break and just take up space past the time she's interested?
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Birthdays and Christmas are the two days a year my DD gets to have the gift she WANTS MOST. If my DD wanted that for her birthday, she'd get it. She got the loving family doll house, and ALL accessories when she was 3, and takes WONDERFUL care of it still. IMO a doll house is worth the money for little girls, for they enjoy them for a LONG TIME.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2011