How many times does your child ask you for something before you give in?

They had done a study that said children will ask about nine times before the parents give in.

Alma_C

Asked by Alma_C at 12:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have 5 kids so I cant give in. If I give into one then I have to do it for them all. My kids have learned not to ask or act stupid and they have a better shot of actually getting stuff.

Answer by gemgem at 12:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My daughter is only 16 months old. So as long as she ASKS and doesn't start whining for it, she only has to ask once as long as it is something she can have.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• If it is something that I am wishy washy on then 9 to 10 sounds about right for me, if it is something that i am stead fast on then they can ask until the cows come home and still get no for an answer as well as a ticked off mom which only makes them miserable.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I dont. I dont care how many times he asks, cries, etc.. if i dont want him doing something, eating something, etc.. i just dont give in. It makes for a miserable hour or so, but i dont care. my kid is not going to think that he can eventually get whatever he wants.... if i say no, it stays no,.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 12:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• If they ask once, I say no after that there requests are simply ignored. I do not repeat myself. If they want to through a fit they can go to there room were I dont have to hear it.
    Ya I am mean lol
    Anonymous

• I have the rule, when I say no, I mean no. Asking me more than once won't get them their way, it only makes me mad. So, I don't give in.
    CarieG.

Answer by CarieG. at 12:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• They ask once and get a yes or a no. Continuing to ask does not change my mind, it just gets them an extra chore to do.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• If it's a reasonable request, I usually agree. If it's a request that I strongly oppose, then the answer is "no" and it remains "no". My son is now 18 and he knows what I will agree to and what I will not agree to, but, yes, he can still "try" me. My husband has always said that I gave in too easily, but the way I look at it is this.... the answer can't be "no" all the time. Again, reasonable...probably a yes; unreasonable, a definite no.
    LynneQ

Answer by LynneQ at 11:19 AM on Nov. 29, 2008