I just found out if someone has a destination wedding they should pay for their friends and families air fare, and hotel???

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 2:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have always heard they should pay for the parents of both the groom/bride, and the members of the wedding (bridesmaids, groomsmen, etc) air fare and room Not everyone, but thats just what i've always been told.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• well...idk. but you can't expect people to come to an extraordinary place/expense just to watch you say 'i do'..unless all you're friends have 'that kind' of money to dispose of.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No, you don't have to pay, but don't be upset if a person very close to you can't make it because of the cost.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• WOW!!!
    rosesrred1

Comment by rosesrred1 (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• no its not me....... im getting married in my city. its a friend of mine..... i wonder if she know that?
    rosesrred1

Comment by rosesrred1 (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My best friend had a destination wedding but because it was a destination wedding she only invited a few family members. We all paid our own way.

Answer by gemgem at 2:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• so its not a bad thing when they dont pay, they just should????
    rosesrred1

Comment by rosesrred1 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No.. To each their own....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• We did not pay for everyone, but we reserved a block of hotel rooms so they could get a discounted rate where we had our reception. We did not pay anyone's travel expenses or for the rooms themselves. Of course, we (with the help of our parents) paid for all the usual wedding ceremony and reception related expenses. Often people have destination weddings to keep it small, lower overall cost, and get a honeymoon or vacation all at once. If someone has the means and wants to pay or help pay for others, I'm sure that's fine, but I really don't think guests should expect them to pay for everything.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Don't feel the need to pay for everyone. You don't want to start off your marriage in debt. Friends and family will be understanding and for those that can't afford to pay their own way ... have a reception when you get back.
    Missie40

Answer by Missie40 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2011