I just found out if someone has a destination wedding they should pay for their friends and families air fare, and hotel???

Asked by rosesrred1 at 2:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have always heard they should pay for the parents of both the groom/bride, and the members of the wedding (bridesmaids, groomsmen, etc) air fare and room Not everyone, but thats just what i've always been told.

Answer by knicole0708 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• well...idk. but you can't expect people to come to an extraordinary place/expense just to watch you say 'i do'..unless all you're friends have 'that kind' of money to dispose of.

Answer by dullscissors at 2:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No, you don't have to pay, but don't be upset if a person very close to you can't make it because of the cost.

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• WOW!!!

Comment by rosesrred1 (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• no its not me....... im getting married in my city. its a friend of mine..... i wonder if she know that?

Comment by rosesrred1 (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My best friend had a destination wedding but because it was a destination wedding she only invited a few family members. We all paid our own way.

Answer by gemgem at 2:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• so its not a bad thing when they dont pay, they just should????

Comment by rosesrred1 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No.. To each their own....

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• We did not pay for everyone, but we reserved a block of hotel rooms so they could get a discounted rate where we had our reception. We did not pay anyone's travel expenses or for the rooms themselves. Of course, we (with the help of our parents) paid for all the usual wedding ceremony and reception related expenses. Often people have destination weddings to keep it small, lower overall cost, and get a honeymoon or vacation all at once. If someone has the means and wants to pay or help pay for others, I'm sure that's fine, but I really don't think guests should expect them to pay for everything.

Answer by pam19 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Don't feel the need to pay for everyone. You don't want to start off your marriage in debt. Friends and family will be understanding and for those that can't afford to pay their own way ... have a reception when you get back.

Answer by Missie40 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2011