Trying to research dog breeds

I am looking to adopt a small dog into our family, but do have some requirements to what I want. I feel that I have researched all that I can on the web and still feel lost, does anyone know of somewhere I can go to get dog advice from a person? I have tried the pound and are not much help other than wanting me to adopt one of their dogs which I am not ready to do yet. I am looking to start seriously looking to buy/adopt in January for as long as it takes to find the right one for us. I need ideas ladies. Thank you.

vbongard

Asked by vbongard at 12:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Pets

• What are your "requirements"?
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 12:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• the best place to go is the dog park... there are LOTS of dogs and low and behold owners too LOL... you can ask them questions, you can see how they interact with other dogs, you can bring your kids there to see how they do with the different breeds, you can get names of breeders if you want a pure bread or you can find out more info on adopting mutts too.
    good luck
    NoshnBasket

Answer by NoshnBasket at 12:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I just wanted to say Kudos to you for actually researching and putting thought into this before adopting a pet. So many people bring animals into their homes and find out real quick it's not going to work and then send them back to the pound or giving/selling them to another unfit family. Do you have any idea at all as to what kind of dog your family would like? When we bought our dogs we looked into what kind of temperament they have, if they become threshold aggressive, if they tolerate children well, what their health risks are, and how easy it is to take care of them. We ended up with 2 miniature Schnauzers and a Border Collie. They all get along great. Although, the Border Collies loves the "herd" people and other animals around the house, which we already knew would happen. lol

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My first requirement and the biggest one is that it is not yappy. meaning that it does not constantly bark at everything all the time. I want a small one, I have had labs in the past and they are just too big for me and our house. I want ton that is playful but also a great companion that will cuddle and sleep on my lap. While I take regular long walks daily in nice weather, I do not like taking all the kids out for a walk when it is snowing, freezing or slick outside so I would like to find one that can handle being walked 1 to 3 times a week.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Good boundaries you have set. My sister raises Shihtzu's and they are so easy to take care of. They do not require a lot of outside time and will snuggle and lay often with family members. In some ways they are prone to yap BUT it can be tailored down with training. I think the barking can be worked with as a small pup.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• whatever you decide to do i would definitely adopt. there are soooo many pet stores that get their dogs from puppy mills (they will tell you that they dont). When you buy a dog you are buying a lot if health probs. such as kennel cough and who knows what else. if you adopt, included in the adoption fee is spay/neuter, shots and microchip. just google the breed you are interested in and based on your requirements, you will find what u r looking for. and be patient with the pound, because there r many purebreds to be found. also, try petfinder.com. type in your zip code and the breed you want and it will give a list of rescue groups. good luck and kudos for doing your research.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Beagles are nice small dogs. They are super friendly and not usually mean. They need bathed a little more often than other dogs, though. They tend to get the dog smell faster.
    Anonymous

• Beagles are good non-yappy dogs.

I have a Lhasa Apso/Pekingese mix who is very mellow. The only time she barks is when she wants to be let out and I've been ignoring her.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I have had dachshund's {wiener dogs} in my family for 15 years now and even tho they bark quite a bit at times, they are wonderful pets. They are very loyal, playful and love to snuggle. My dogs have always loved children. They are also very protective. We have short haired doxies {my nick name for dachshunds} so we don't have to have them groomed and don't have to brush them hardly at all.
    BigSkyHarmony

Answer by BigSkyHarmony at 2:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Check out the attributes of a Welsh Corgi. They are smallish-medium dogs on short legs. (About 20-30 lbs) they don't need to go on long walks every day, but if you want to, they are up for it. They are calm and even tempered, big enough to not get hurt if a baby or toddler falls over them, but small enough not to hurt a child accidentally. They are loving and cuddly. They aren't yappy either, but when they do bark they have a "big dog" sound to them. The one problem is they shed--A LOT! They are short haired, but they will shed enough to make a whole other dog in the springtime!
    Anonymous