spitting up

my 3 month old girl has been spiiting up what i fed her for the last 3 feedings. she is breastfed and has never spit up before. any ideas??

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 12:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I doubt she has an allergy to your milk if shes three months old and never spit up. My guy is the same age, and definitely goes through phases. I haven't determined yet what causes it (possibly something I've eaten beforehand), but some days he'll spit up like crazy and I'll run out of clean burp cloths...other times (like yesterday), I won't have to change his clothes or anything all day and never needed to have a cloth on my shoulder.

As long as it's not an all-the-time thing, I wouldn't worry. Does she seem like she's in pain when it happens, or does she not even notice? She may just be getting too active (like my guy). He wants to play and move around and if it happens too soon after eating, he tend to overflow. :)

If it keeps ups up for the next day or two, I'd maybe give her doc a call. Otherwise, just protect your clothes and furniture! Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My little girl went through a stage like that, and I was breastfeeding also. I asked the doc about it and she said that for some reason around that age, they just start it. She also said that it was normal and to start feeding her smaller amounts, burp, wait about 4 or 5 min and then feed another small amount and repeat until baby is full. this will help with food getting stuck on top of air bubbles and being spit up when the air bubble comes out as well as help their stomachs to not just over flow and eject the food. good luck, this did make feeding take longer, but it did work well as solving the problem, I just made sure I was doing something interesting while I fed her.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:42 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• spitting up (depending on how much) is pretty normal... babies tummies are still developing. so getting used to holding food down could take a little time.
    when i first started breastfeeding my daughter, she would spit up pretty much every time i fed her. she slowly grew out of it. part of me was worried, because it always seemed like so much. but her pediatrician & our lactation consultant said that was normal because they're also swallowing large amounts of saliva. sOo what they're spitting up is a mixture of milk and spit and whatever is in their tummies.

my daughter is 6 months now, and she hardly spits up at all. but there are a few times when she'll cough up a little milk.

i think as long as your daughter is growing and developing normally, i wouldn't worry too much.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 12:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• IF SHE IS SPITTING UP A LOT MORE THAN NORMAL SPIT UP WHICH SHOULDN'T BE VERY MUCH THEN SHE COULD BE LACTOSE INTOLERANT OR HAVE A MILK ALLERGY. MY DAUGHTER TRIED TO BREAST FEED BUT IT DIDN'T WORK TO WELL SO THEN I PUT HER ON REGULAR FORMULA BECAUSE SHE WAS GETTING COLLICEY AND SHE WAS STILL COLLICEY ON REGULAR FORMULA UNTIL I SWITCHED HER TO SOY. SOY WORKED BUT IF IT HADN'T WORKED I WOULD HAVE TRIED AS A LAST RESOURT NUTRAMOGEN. HOPE THIS HELPS.
    Pasta19

Answer by Pasta19 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Try burping more often. My dd had a problem with spitting up an entire bottle and the dr said to burp after every two ounces. It made feeding last a whole lot longer but she did better.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2008