Why can't he understand? HE'S A DOG!

Yes, he is a dog! The most adorrable, loving creature. I love him sooo much and can't imagine life without him! He is just perfect .... well mannered and kind ... BUT he's a dog! A dog!!! Literally a Dog! About two years ago we adopted him from the Humane Society. My only problem with him is that he refuses to eat kibble. For as long as he's been with us, he's never eaten kibble! He will eat regular wet dog food once a day but will not eat it more than once a day. He's always begging for food and eats everything that falls on the floor. I feel bad when he looks at me with those big beautiful brown eyes ... I keep thinking he's hungry. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can convince him that he's a dog and needs to eat doggy food?

cecyh9

Asked by cecyh9 at 2:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Pets

• I had to laugh at this....once you give him table food your screwed, but if you give him dog food and only dog food, he will eat it when he is hungry enough, he has hopes that he will get something from the table, he is outsmarting you!!! Why break his heart and tell him he is a dog, he probably considers himself part of your human family. I have two dogs just like yours................................................those big brown eyes will melt me anytime!

Answer by older at 3:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• At the pet store they have different sause you can add to the dry food to get your dogs to eat it or to eat more. What i use to do since the dog i got was way to thin and was a picky eater is I would buy the wet food called cesars i would take like a cup of dry food and a half a pack of cesars and mix it really good untill all of the dry food was covered. if it wasnt he would just pick out the cesars and leave the rest there (smart ass).

anyways i did that for a while and he loved it whenever i would come in the house wit the cesars he went crazy esp when he heard me mix everything.

you might have to find what food he likes. my dog will not eat kibbles an bits he hates it. I went through a few bags before I found the one he likes. soon you will not have to mix his food and he will eat it dry.
    MissChunkyLuv

Answer by MissChunkyLuv at 3:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Try a few different brands & see if he likes anything better than what you have tried (places like PetSmart or PetCo often have small sample sized bags). You can also try mixing his wet dog food with a some kibble. Or make a gravy for the kibble to soften it a bit. Some kibbles are really hard & dogs have a hard time with them. If you are determined to give him kibble, then you will need to commit to finding the right kind for him. But if he eats a healthy diet, then don't worry about it.
    SaraBeth1204

Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• If he ate people food before you got him, he isn't likely to want to eat dog food. As long as he is eating once a day, he is fine. You could also throw some other things into the mix that are good for him- like fruits and veggies, all of my pups got those and loved them! My Orla (She was with me for 13 years, and was my BABY) loved brussels sprouts roasted in olive oil with balsamic vinegar... weird dog, I know.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I experienced this when I dogsat for a friend's mom for a long weekend. He has never been fed normal dog food and this dog literally starved himself while he was with me because he wasn't getting fed any human food. I feel bad but at the time I thought he was just moping for his owner because he was at my home, not his. I would keep trying. But it sounds like he's on the right track if he's already eating once a day. Dogs will eat themselves sick if given the opportunity so begging isn't necessarily a sign of hunger.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• He won't starve himself.

If all that you make available is dry dog food then that is what he'll eat.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• One caveat on only making dry food available... some dogs will just puke it up. Mine does.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I've had 3 dogs in my lifetime and all begged for food. Dogs have a way of being little master manipulators. All they have to do is just sit and stare at you with sad eyes, and before you know it you give in. Now I have a 1 yr old male cat and he begs at the table. He especially likes cheese. I think he learned this begging behavior from the 13 yr old dog I had. It's strange because the cat would eat the dog food and the dog ate the cat food. Sometimes the cat would eat out of the dog's bowl while he was eating!
    I've never seen animal behavior like that before. Maybe these animals are confused as to what type of animals they are?
    blogmom

Answer by blogmom at 1:10 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• To stop the begging, just don't eat in front of him. Put him in his crate if he has one or in a room away from wherever you are eating. To get him to eat his own food, first if you haven't already, buy a high quality MEAT based kibble (www.dogfoodadvisor.com) and stick with it for a while. You can add some warm water or low/no sodium broth to enhance the aroma/taste of the food. Put his food down for 15 minutes (close him in a room with his food if you have to). Whatever he doesn't eat gets taken away and he gets nothing else to eat until his next meal. This may seem mean, but a healthy dog will not starve itself and I bet you he will be eating normally in just a few days. If he still doesn't eat though, I would take him to the vet for a check-up. If nothing is wrong healthwise, he may only need one meal a day. I agree that most dogs are "food hounds" so begging isn't always a sign of true hunger.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:01 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Dogs are suppose to only eat once a day, right? If he's eating wet dog food once a day and then crumbs I'd say he's good.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2011