Why do my friends and family think I need a job?!

I've been a SAHM for almost 3 years now. Love it! Do not depend on ANYONE but my husband financially. We get NO public assistance what so ever in case you are assuming. So why can't my family and friends get it through their head that I'm a SAHM not looking for a job? I get a phone call, email, job posting at least once a week asking me about jobs. Getting irritated but I do reply nicely "nope, not looking, thanks for thinking of me"!
SAHM does this drive you crazy too? Or do your friends get it?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 3:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• Most people don't realize that being a SAHM is your job. They don't realize how much you do, you would have a six figure income if you got paid for everything you do. Just ignore them. All that matters is that you're happy.

Best Wishes!!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 5:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• They could just be looking out for you. Although it's wonderful to be a SAHM, anything can happen to your husband. Even to those that say they are taken care of financially, lots of women thought the same thing at one time. It can and does happen. I think everyone should be prepared. Maybe that's what they are referring to. My father would never be satisfied if I depended on my husband financially. I can so see him on me every second if I stayed at home.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My family knows the importance of being a sahm so I do not experience what you are going through. My mom was a sahm and she's very proud that I am doing the same thing.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would tell them to stop sending you the stuff about jobs. If they want to go and apply, you wish them luck.... let them know you are happy as a SAHM and that when you ask them to pay your bills then their opinions will matter.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 3:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• my fil does that sometimes and it pisses me off, my dh finally said something to him in my defense
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I was married at 19 and was a SAHM until I was 38. I had no experience and worked in a factory as a temp for years before getting hired on full time. My husbby became disabled early on. When I became disabled at age 66 I had very little social security built up because i waited so long to start working. By now my hubby and I were divorced and I am still barely getting by on my monthly check. By working from a young age, you are building up for the future.
    grammawjo

Answer by grammawjo at 3:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I get it ALL the time and I hate it!
    cecyh9

Answer by cecyh9 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I never get that because my family is very supportive of me being a SAHM. This is a job in it's self & if we got paid for it we all would be rich LOL! I would start to wonder why they are being so persistent about it after telling them you are fine. Maybe they are jealous IDK but that's what i would start to think.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 3:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Maybe it's guilt that they are not making the same sacrifice. Or jealousy that they can't.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 3:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Lucky you my dear I have always wanted that very thing to stay home.But reality is reality and i worked for over 35 years now.Hold your head up as you have the best job out there!Yes a stay home mom!!Don't listen to the haters,it is just jealousy vearing its ugly head at you.Imust say i would have loved to stay home all those years but 3 kids,school,daycare ,college and cars and all for them.They are all gone now ,and i still work,because i have to to live the life i am used to.But Kudos to you!!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2011