I am a convert to Islam.

I have had several people question my faith. I would never force my beliefs on someone. So why do some people believe I picked the wrong religion?

khadijah68

Asked by khadijah68 at 2:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• you have a right to your own religion...i am not a part of any particular religion but i have faith :)
    MiraclesDHappen

Answer by MiraclesDHappen at 2:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I'm not a part of any particular religion. I guess I would be categorized as a general Christian. But you go girl for what you believe :D I do agree that you have a right to your own religion, after all this is America, and that's one of the reasons people started moving here in the first place. To practice their own religion without being "punished" for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• people are funny that way - especially evangelical christians. My mother told my children that I am going to hell because I don't believe the way that she does.

Personally, I think God doesn't care whether you call him Allah or YWH - worship is worship
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 6:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• This is just my personal belief - I do believe every person has free will to believe whatever they want to, but *I* do not believe every belief system is true. That may be what others believe as well. I believe Jesus stands strong as “the truth” regarding our salvation. Anything/belief that teaches something other than that is not truth. I believe in having a personal relationship, not a religion. I believe Islam is just a religion, while Christ is about having a relationship. I have a post on this you are welcome to read: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/235918/Freedom_or_Free_dumb It shows the differences between a religion and a relationship.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 10:49 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• because peopel are more familiar wiht the fanatical extremist islamist who say...blow up buildings and kill people. i know that not all islamist do, but when you hear islam, if you are an american, 9 times out of 10, the twin towers are the first image to pop into your head. since you converted, if htey tell you you chose the wrong religion, simply tell them why it was the right one for you. after that if they persist, lump them. why would you care what they think? your religion is between you and god, or allah, or jeehvoah, and no one else.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:00 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Salam sister. I am glad that you re-verted to Islam. I say re-vert bc I believe that we are all Muslim from conception(WHEN gOD HAS THOUGHT OF US) and we chose different faiths(my beliefs) People want to look at others and say what is wrong with them and their religion so that will make them feel better about what they are doing and believing in. Just keep your head up high and stay strong. Allah will reward you for everything that you go through. If today you saw a man claiming to be god's son what would you say? That he is crazy. so why do Christians believe that Jesus is God's son and not a prophet. He told them to not listen to any part of the old testament and listen to his version the new testament. Today if someone had done that we would say that he is crazy off his meds so what does that say?
    rachelisamail

Answer by rachelisamail at 11:21 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Make sure you know what you are speaking about.

Matthew 5: 17-18 These are Jesus own words
    "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

motivesmom

Answer by motivesmom at 11:38 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• You're fine hon. If you feel that this is the path for you then don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Islam, from what I've seen, is a beautiful religion. There is nothing wrong with it.

Follow what is in your heart. Allow your intuition to guide you.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 12:36 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Unfortunately in this day and age, people need to be more responsible when letting others know what religion they practice. As with any group, stereotypes are formed repeatedly, people are profiled, and quite honestly, I think more times than not, it is smart to not be so trusting of everyone. There is a reason that people should never discuss money, RELIGION or politics, unless you are in the company of like-minded individuals. Since 9/11, anything connected with Muslims/Islam, will always make people tread lightly. I'm Roman Catholic, and if people of the RC faith were responsible for 9/11, I wouldn't mention my faith to ANYONE.
    Anonymous

• "Since 9/11, anything connected with Muslims/Islam, will always make people tread lightly. I'm Roman Catholic, and if people of the RC faith were responsible for 9/11, I wouldn't mention my faith to ANYONE."

Eric Robert Rudolph is a Roman Catholic who bombed the Olympic Games in Atlanta, two abortion clinics, and a gay night club, citing religious reasons for his terroristic acts. ANY religion has its extremists.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2008