How much would you expect a family of 5 to spend on groceries each month?

i ask because we just had MIL come over and help us figure out a monthly budget. unfortunately DH is a momma's boy & thinks we need his mom's help in figuring out a budget. we have 3 daughters (2 of which are in diapers) and he makes roughly $1700/month, although its been less lately because he's been missing a few days of work here & there for his PTSD therapy sessions.

anyway, i printed out our entire spending history from January 1st, 2011 and did the math of what we spent on bills, food and other things. adding up what i spent at the store in January, it was like $286 and some change. In february it came in at even less around $265 or something. so when i came up with these figures.. i was feeling pretty damn good about myself. however you should've heard the shit she gave me about it.

"YOU SPENT $286 IN GROCERIES IN A MONTH!? *GASP*"

im like WTF do you expect we are a family of FIVE! my parents spend about that much on just themselves every 2 weeks!

i am curious.. ballpark.. what do you think is average grocery spending for a family of 5, with 2 in diapers?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• Good job mama! that is very cheap and you must be a great shopper finding all the good deals. We are a family of four and i am thinking we spend around 300-400 and that is no babies in diapers. but i do have a teenager. haha, i think i need some tips from you. Don't let the MIL get to you, I think that is below average and you should be proud of yourself.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• tnm we spend about that or more. we have six in our family. we probably spend 200 or more on groceries and than you got the extra money going back to the store to get what you forgot the first time. i dont see how that is outrageous
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• seriously.. I am feeling bad now cause I think for our family of 3 its more like $400 - fresh fruits and veggies are insane right now..ugh.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I definitely need help with this one too! I over spend. I grocery shop once a week, sometimes I can go over a week but end up having to still pick up things we need. So when I do shop weekly I spend around $135-$160 weekly! *GASP* Oh and family of 5 too with one in diapers!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I was thinking $250 at the very least.

Looks like you're doing a good job to me :)
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• We are a family of 5 and we spend on average $200- $225 a week.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Maybe she was surprised at how little you spend! Can you come do my shopping? I know we spend over $600 per month for groceries for our family of 5. I know I spend more than I have to, but I'm thinking most families of 5 spend more than you do.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I also ant to add i went shopping last night and spend $82 and i sure don't feel like i got a whole lot. ugh! prices are going up again i noticed.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• wow thats good shopping we are a family of 4 and my kids are still young like 2 & 4yrs old and I spend $250-$275 every 2 weeks. I try to keep it at $250. but its hard and when the kids get biggger it will be more.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• We are a family of 5 with 2 kids in diapers too, and we spend right around 300, sometimes more sometimes less. I think that's really cheap too...did you ask what she thought you should be spending? And then have her write a grocery list and price it out. I am sure she would be shocked at how fast everything adds up!
    AshleyLynnW

Answer by AshleyLynnW at 3:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2011