Completely fine or Super creepy????

My mother has this friend who recently confessed that she breastfed her daughter until she was 5! She said that she had wanted to weane her off sooner but that it was a no-go. If you need a visual, imagine Suri Cruise still latched on....yeah.

Now me personally I think this is creeptastic and that it probably has more to do with the mother than the kid not wanting to be weaned.

How long did/do you plan on breastfeeding your kids? If you breastfed past 2 is there any particular reason? How old do you think is "too damn old" to be breastfeeding? Please let me know =)

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Wow you should be getting some interesting responses with this question! Yes, I think 5yr is too long for sure... this lady on my street home schools her kids & told me she breast fed her kids until they were 5yrs old one day in a brief discussion. I thought I was hearing things, and had this vision in my head that wasn't a good one, BUT to each its own I guess not my biz.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• 5 is too old for me, but I don't think it's creepy at all. My oldest (who is almost 5) nursed for 24 months. My youngest, who is 27 months this month), is still nursing. I have no idea when she will wean. For me, it's more of a "man, I am very worn down by all of this nursing"-type deal, not a creepiness factor. I have a friend who nursed her daughter until she was 4 and the friend had to go on meds for MS, and I thought it was wonderful.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 4:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• If thats what they want it is FINE... its not perverted or dirty...
    Personally I dont think i could think of nursing past 3 & that is over MY limit...
    I nursed until 20mo.

To each their own.. I really dont care as long as no one is being hurt in any way.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I personally wouldn't go to 5, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I plan on going to about 2-2.5.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• my oldest is turning 5 this year. i cant imagine her breastfeeding.. i just can't. i would not be comfortable with it. but im not everyone, so im sure there are differing opinions on this subject.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I don't necessarily think it's the mother's wants over the child. Sure the mom doesn't want to lose the bond, but I'm sure she wants her body back as well. After all, if the kid didn't want it, why'd he come in and lift up her shirt to get some? He just needs to be shown boundaries and that should have been done at a much younger age. When my daughter weaned herself, I gave her the opportunity to eat and she just kept her mouth closed. She didn't want it anymore. That kid does.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 5:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I see nothing wrong with this.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Krysta622,

Unfortunately you are right. We live is such a messed up world (*shake head and sigh*). I am very luckily to have healthy kids. One of my friends daughters suffers from a horrible autoimmune system. She has to give her toddler shots every day, they have been in lock down for months... It breaks my heart. If I can increase my children s chances of preventing similar diseases, I will. Breastfeeding does that. I didn't go as long with my others, I was not very educated on extended breastfeeding. If I could go back and bf them longer, I would. But baby #5 will nurse till he self weans. Not because I have some need to be comforted (nursing a toddler is not comfortable most times!!), but because I want the best for him.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:31 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• well 5 is way too old i think.. i never breastfed. i know of women breastfeeding after the age of one but stopped soon after
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 3:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• 5 might be way too old, IMO. But then again I never breastfed.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2011