What' s the best way to get rid of the bottle all together?

The doctors are saying that my son should be completely off the bottle by now, but he still wants one.

amcmillen0504

Asked by amcmillen0504 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We did it cold turkey. I let my child know that it was time for the bottle to go and let him watch/help me throw them away. It was easier than I expected.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Throw it away and deal with the whining. Its takes 72 hours to break the baba habit. Dont mention it ever again and pretend you dont know what the childs talking about. Baba? What?

Answer by gemgem at 1:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• How old is he? We have three and they were off the bottle by the time they were 10 months. The longest was my oldest daughter a little over a year. She was 13 months old when she went to a cup. We kind of just took them off of it.  But again, all kids are different.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• outa sight outa mind
    Anonymous

• I agree with the cold turkey approach. Make it a ritual and have him help you get rid of the bottles. Take him to the store and buy him special cups to replace the bottles. There is sure to be a few tantrums, and just comfort him and remind him that he's growing up and not a baby anymore. My oldest really responded well to knowing all the others things big boys could do and that seemed to help him let go of baby things.
    FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 1:19 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• ICE COLD TURKEY! And if there isnt one in the house at all then you dont be able to give him one... He will get over it.. all kids do! Oh and maybe let him pic out some BIG boy cups!
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 1:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I took one away each week and didn't let her have anything but a sippy cup during that one feeding. After a few weeks, no more bottles.
    Anonymous

• I will be the one who says it...there is NO need to get rid of the bottle. My son is 2.5 years old and still uses his for milk. He will not drink milk out of anything else no matter what. The cold turkey thing doesn't work for all children and I honestly think it is mean. Bottles are a comfort to babies and toddlers. And sippys are just grown up versions of the bottle. However, I do limit what my son can have in his bottle. He may only have milk. He uses sippys or cups or straws for everything else.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:35 PM on Nov. 23, 2008