Has anyone, or is anyone going to be, affected by the earthquake and tsunami?

My LP is half Japanese, and his mother is first generation here in the U.S., so most of her side of the family is still in Japan. Nobody has updated me yet on if everyone is okay, so it makes me nervous! I actually learned about it from one of my 1st hour students this morning, and have learned through the day who all is in the path.

Is anyone else affected?! Or will you be if it continues on the path it is due to follow?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I am in Japan. We didn't get hit by the tsunami but the 1st big quake broke a few things in our apartment. We were at the store when it happened and the lights were swaying back and forth and we were evacuated from the store. Feeling it on the ground never happens, so we knew it was a big one! We are still getting aftershocks now, 24 hours later! Had another big one this morning at 4 am. We are having more tsunami advisories right now. Many in my area are out of power! Yesterday the sky was black from the fires across the bay! And I could see one of the fires from my balcony!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 2:38 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Still waiting to hear from my son! Have a friend who went to Hawaii and due to get back this weekend! Thank you for your positive thoughts and prayers!
    MomofJJS

Answer by MomofJJS at 6:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Just got a hold of my SIL who was in Tokyo... My brother was TDY in states. He is heading home to Japan as soon as he can...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I found out last night, I get news updates on my phone. It's blowing up on FB now too. I've been praying off and on since I found out. It's also hit Hawaii, Alaska, Oregan, and California. This is just tragic!
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 5:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• yea, i have in laws in hawaii and i haven't heard anything. also have a 7ft wave warning in vafb and from santa barbara all the way to oregon. its scary, and i hope my in laws are ok.
    Fushithedruid

Answer by Fushithedruid at 9:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My  town evacuated 6,000 residents in low lying areas, closed schools and experienced damage at the marina. My actual home was not affected-I live in the hills overlooking the mess. I drove 400 miles of coastline yesterday and although all beaches were closed, the water did not seem particularly turbulent. My parents own vacation property outside of Kona, HI...their property  is intact, but there was significant flooding to beach front commercial property near their home.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:21 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My cousin was supposed to go to Japan for work in a few weeks...i'm guessing that trip will be cancelled.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• they say there are hundreds of bodies floating off the coast of Japan.Sad for all.Also pretty sad what Obama said to Japan Our relations are un-shakable???Are you kidding me???
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My uncle is on a cruise ship headed from the Hawaiian Islands to California. Right in the path of the wave headed to the US. Havent heard a word if he's doin okay or not. This whole thing is just terrible. My heart goes out to all those effected by this multitude of disasters.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2011