My HMO doctor charged $60 for the visit because he said that he is charging overtime...can he do this?

He said that he charges by the minute and that insurance company only pays him for 30 minutes spend with the patient. Due to my son's various prescription medication taking at the moment the doctor had to look for side effects and interactions between prescriptions. He spend time and effort explaining every detail but at the end he said that he would have to charge us for the extra time spend.
I don't really want to pay since we have insurance through an employer and this doctor is part of the HMO network. What can I do to avoid the cost and still being able to continue seeing the doctor next follow up visit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Sorry to say but in my state that is legal.. You pay based on the complexity of the visit. If it is a simple exam, level one, level two or extensive there is a different charge for each.. Think of it this way, when going to the dentist with a cavity;the dentist charges x amount for time, supplies etc. If that cavity is small, it doesn't take as much time or supplies to fix so the price is cheaper. For a more complex cavity repair, the price is higher.. People may not realize this happens but it does.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i don't think that the dr can do that.. I would call another dr and ask them if they do that.. If not I wouldn't pay it..
    AJMcGuire

Answer by AJMcGuire at 4:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Call your insurance company immediately to tell them. Next, find a new Dr. who isn't looking to bleed you dry for every penney.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• His one set fee should cover any amount of time, that is ridiculous, I would change doctors..

Answer by older at 4:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• HMOs totally suck ... I should know because I've had one for years. NOTE: he cannot charge you for so-called "overtime". Do NOT pay one penny more than your actual co-pay and definitely find yourself a new doctor. Also, contact your provider and let them know in addition to the HR person at your employers company.
    Anonymous

• Send the bill to Obama. :)
    Anonymous

• I don't think they can do that either.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You should report this doctor,i have never herd of such!but we will all hear more of it if the current healthcare bill goes all the way through.It's bad news folks.Going to be waiting for weeks to see doctor,then if they have not met their quota's.Sad situation for us all.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Call your insurance company and discuss this with them. You may have to pay it, but I'd definitely speak to them first. When I've had billing issues with a provider I've had better luck getting an answer that made sense from my insurance company than from the medical facility. Not all issues were resolved in my favor, but I did feel better paying when after the reason for the charges were explained to me.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• As far as I know, doctors can charge whatever they want. BUT, if they're contracted with your insurance company, they have to accept whatever the insurance pays them. I don't believe they are allowed to bill you after that. Not 100% sure on that, but you should absolutely call your HMO and discuss this with them.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2011