Little help for a family member?

My niece had her baby in January and I know she's due to go back to work sometime in April. She IS breastfeeding and she is pumping, but she can't get her to take a bottle. She doesn't think there is any nipple confusion, but that her baby girl just doesn't want the bottle (she'll suck for a minute or two but then just throw a fit and refuse to take anymore). Any advice that I can pass along to her that might help her? She also had acid reflux her first few weeks, but my niece says that's not a problem anymore.

Update: 4/7/11 - Still no luck with her unfortunately. She won't even eat if my niece is not around and she's now gone back to work so she comes home to feed her, but her doctor says to lengthen the time between feedings and see if that helps. But she's also being sent to a specialist to see if there are other issues going on as to why she won't drink from a bottle (she can my niece says, she just won't).

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe the position of how she's being held is different when she's breast feeding compared to the bottle, you could have her try to adjust that.. sorry, I know my niece had a hard time with the bottle but after a day I watched her and she had no choice but to drink the bottle, she hopped on board.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Has she tried switching nipples to see if her baby likes one vs another?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My daughter did that too. We had to use the playtex drop-ins bottles with the big rounded nipples.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• First, she should be NO WHERE near baby when bottle is offered. It's even best for her to be gone, like out of the house. When she goes to work, she should aim to leave 1 to 1.25 ounces for each hour she will be away. Baby may, or may not take the bottle in her absence. Many babies wait for mom. Look up reverse cycling. It's very common among breast fed babies. Basically, they'll go a long period while mom is gone, without eating much, or at all. Then, at night, they make up for it by nursing a lot, all through the night. The concept is that, if you can expect baby to STTN, and just nurse all through the day, then you can also expect baby to not STTN and eat instead, and not eat much during the day. Of course, this isn't the case with all babies, many of them WILL take the bottle from a caregiver. Keep in mind that bottles can be bypassed, and she can try offering a cup instead.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I had this happen with my oldest. I thought she would not take a bottle, but it turned out she just wouldn't take a bottle from me. Maybe your niece needs to leave the house and have someone else offer the bottle.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I agree with Krista622. Mom needs to not be home when bottles are given.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I think she has. A friend of hers suggested a specific type of bottle/nipple too, but not sure if she has tried that. I suggested that she warm the bottle because it was the only way my son would take his milk, but she did and it had no effect.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I know she's mentioned using the playtex drop-ins, I'll have to ask her what kind of nipples she's using though.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Thank you ladies. I know she's had her husband do it, but she was present at those times (once she took the bottle, the other time she refused). I will suggest that she go out shopping or something for a couple of hours and let him try feeding her.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• She is returning to work tomorrow (I think just for tomorrow though, she is a nurse and they are in need of critical staffing), so that would be a good opportunity to let her husband feed the baby without her present.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2011