Thinking about getting a 2nd Chihuahua and breeding puppies

Is there anything I need to know in advance? Any suggestions or advice? Any help at all will be appreciated. I don't even want to get the female until I believe that I'm ready to take this on. Thankyou

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Pets

• I second Mrs. Harsh, please do not do this. There are so many unwanted animals that are killed every day because of backyard breeders. People seem to think that if they just have a couple litters or give them to friends, it isn't a big deal. But some many people raising a couple litters results in millions of animals. And friends sometimes move away & the animals still end up in shelters. If you want another pet, rescue a spayed female. If you truly love this breed & want to raise puppies then start working with your local chapter of the AKC. They can put you in touch with reputable breeders who can advise you on how to get started. But unless you are willing to give over a huge portion of your life to this & invest in excellent bloodlines, I would just play on enjoying your beloved pets & finding a hobby that doesn't involve bringing more living creatures into the world.
    SaraBeth1204

Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Please dont be a backyard breeder. There are so many animals that people dont want because of this.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 4:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Good luck finding someone who can afford to pay for a full bred dog.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 4:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• And you would be doing this why?
    two4one

Answer by two4one at 5:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• That wasnt advice or a suggestion @two4one. Thankyou @Mrs. Harsh and SaraBeth1204 I admit that I didnt think about it that way and will probably not do it now...I think getting a spayed female from a shelter and just enjoying my fav breed is an excellent idea.
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i am So Happy that you are thinking about looking into getting another Chihuahua at the Shelter instead of Breeding- i agree with Mrs Harsh & SaraBeth1204 100%! There are just TOO MANY sitting there in a cage waiting for someone to Love- i hope you find your new little buddy soon:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Im glad to hear you are going to look at the shelter! So many animals are in need of loving companions :)
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 9:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• If you want another dog, just adopt from a shelter. As for breeding, do you have experience in that? Are you ready to take on added responsibility that you may not be ready for? Supposing you don't sell all the pups? Do you know enough people who are willing to buy from you? Before you dive into this, you should research as much as you can about dog breeding and the medical expenses involved.
    http://www.thebreedsofdogs.com/dog_breeding/should_you_breed.htm
    blogmom

Answer by blogmom at 1:02 AM on Mar. 12, 2011