Do students with Autism get an appropriate education in the United States?

And what State is the best when it comes to providing education to children with Autism. To children with SEVERE Autism in need of one-on-one instruction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• they do if you get involved with your school. My nephew has autistm and he has graduated to the level of his peers, thanks to much early intervention and the school's resourses help. much luck. don't stop looking, If the school has nothing, go to social services.
    avacal

Answer by avacal at 4:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I live in eastern, PA, and I've been THRILLED with the education programs my autistic children have received--from free in-home early interventions until age 3, and then free preschool from ages 3 to 5 1/2 and then onto autistic support & regular ed classrooms at an EXCELLENT public school My boys are now 9 and 7 & in 3rd and 1st grades--my 9 year old is in a REGULAR ED classroom and doing FABULOUSLY well; and my 7 year old is spending 1/2 his day in autistic support and 1/2 his day in a REGULAR ED classroom, and has also made MAJOR improvements.

Their successes are NOT due to their teachers though. My husband and I have (and continue to) work tirelessly with them at home, when we're out in the community, they attended multiple regular ed preschools concurrently, they attended Huntington Learning Center, we are doing RDI and TONS of speech and social group therapies--it's become a way of life for us!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• every year they cut a little of the sevices that were provided to the special needs kids the year before. This year,the same woman who provides my son's Occupational therapy has to double up as his in class aide because they cut a position. Our schol district has 3 speech therapists that have to travel to 4 different schools during the day because they can no longer afford 1 per school. I'm afraid with Governor Walkers "budget fix",I may end up having to be my son's in school aide because they'll fire his aide for lack of funds!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• All along my children have been granted small classroom sizes, with TONS of 1:1 and small group instruction--usually no more than a 1:3 ratio, in addition to school-based speech and occupational therapies, special visits from therapy dogs, participation in school supported and organized special olympics, special teacher lead field trips into the community--movie theaters, swimming at the Y, picnics, attending a carnival as a group, etc...all while working on social skills and good behaviors.

Bottom line, if you embrace your child's disability, and work WITH the schools/teachers, IEP team and other school based professionals, you will find a ton of support and your concerns will be addressed in your favor. It is a LONG road, but it can end up being a very rewarding experience.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions I can help you with. :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• In my area...not so much. I work with families who have children living with special needs. The key to having a better experience vs. a nightmare is (hopefully) early intervention, very informed patents who can advocate tirelessly for their child, and beable to afford additional therapies. I am the addition piece. And generally schools are more of a team with a parent who comes across as well educated and knows her child's rights. Unfortunately not every parent of a special needs child has support, money for additional resources, transportation, or early intervention. Not all kids were identified so early. The experience a child and his or her family has varies depending on the individual school, the parents, resources avaiable to the family, the area you live in may have more support as well, and the stregths of the individual child. So it just depends if it works or not.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It depends on the school, the teachers, the parents and how knowledgeable they ALL are, about ASD's. A lot of parental involvement is key to the success of the child but if the education system is not willing to help, you can't just take your child to any school you want to, not in my area, anyway.

And as far as states, I sincerely hope that all states have areas that work well with ASD kids but I think you are very wise to ask this question...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:22 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Butterflyblue is right about her concerns when it comes to cuts in services for Special Education. It seems that services for those who are disadvantaged are always on the chopping block first. That's why it is so imperative to not only advocate for your child academically, and for continued services after graduation, but to also put pressure on law makers to listen to the voices who sometimes cant speak for themselves.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Alright, I want to know who the chickenshit person is who downvoted my first response?! Seriously some people take POLITICS too damn seriously and can't turn it off--even when the question is PERSONAL and not POLITICAL!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I live in Wisconsin and my son has had the same girl with down syndrome in his class since kindergarden, there is one this year in his class with Autism, they have a special teacher that does one on one with these 2 kids. it has been that way for years now. they stay in the same classroom with the kids too.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My son's best friend is mildly autistic. They met while they were both in a Developmental Disability spec. ed. classroom. Gradually, he was put into other classes thru inclusion. He moved from OH to MI for high school, and has since graduated & began taking classes at his local community college. While the methods may vary from state-to-state, having involved parents helping to set goals to be included in their child's IEP is key. Every special needs child needs a solid advocate to make sure their educational needs are being met.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2011