Is eczema a lifelong condition?

Or can you outgrow it?

Is there a big difference between eczema & contact dermititus? (eczema like rash resulting in allergic reaction) Is that chronic?

Thanks ladies!

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 4:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Health

• You can outgrow it, I never did.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 9:21 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I developed eczema when I was in my early 20's but from what I know once you have it, you have it for life. There are plenty of things you can do to keep it under control though. I'm not sure of the difference between eczema and contact dermititus though
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No, it does not have to be a lifelong condition. My daughter suffered w/eczema from birth. For 10 years, everything we tried/what doctors offered did not work. Many of the OTC creams formulated for eczema actually contain ingredients known to exacerbate the condition. The Rx creams they gave her (Elidel) are known to cause cancer. Here's what finally did the trick:

Eliminating cow's milk from her diet, supplementing with probiotics and eating plenty of yogurt and keifer, and switching all soaps, shampoos, etc. to safer versions (ones that don't contain petrochemicals, parabens, SLS (sodium lauryl sulfates) and so on). We were on to a really great start with dairy elimination and upping her immune system with probiotics, yogurt, and keifer but it wasn't until we switched to organic, natural products that we ended it once and for all.
    Anonymous

• Thanks anon! Can you recommend any specific brands of soaps, shampoos, detergents, dish soaps, etc that don't contain those ingredients?
    rAbella

Comment by rAbella (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You can outgrow it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• For life...Sorry!
    PrincessStacy

Answer by PrincessStacy at 9:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2011