what age do yo think is appropriate for a cell phone?

a friend of mine is getting her 6 year old daughter a razor phone for christmas because some of her friends have one? do a lot of parent get phones for this age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• I believe when your child starts leaving home with friends or driving then a cell phone is appropriate. A 6yr old has no reason to have a cell phone. I'm not sure who she would need to call and why an adult would not be around in the first place if there was a problem.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I think it depends on the child and the social and economic status of the parents. If your friends child is around other children who have cell phones then it might no be innappropriate for her to get one for her child. If she herself uses one often then the child would be learning from her about cell phones. Obviously not everyone can afford to do this for their children, but they are likely also less likely to have their children in a social situation where other children have them all the time.
    It also is largely dependant on the child themselves and their maturity level. I am buying my 8 yr old a cell phone for christmas, but he is pretty mature and lives at his dads. It would allow him to contact me anytime he wants to without restriction.

Answer by gemgem at 1:13 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I think that a kid is old enough for a cell phone when they are old enough to get their driver's license and have a job. When they start driving and not being home due to a job and more time out with friends that's when they have a need for a cell phone. Not when they are 6 or 8 and they are in the room next to a parent or guardian. I hate how cell phones have become a fashion accessory. And the texting...don't even get me started on that. Let your kids be kids. They don't need a cell phone. It has nothing to do with maturity or any bull like that. They are kids. Make them go out side to play, not sit on their butts talking on a damn cell phone or texting.
    Anonymous

• I don't think a 6 year needs a cell phone. That is just a bit ridiculous.

Anonymous

• Six? Holy crap...yeah, that's a bit too young.

I wasn't even allowed to think about getting one until I was 14. I'm 20, so I do still remember the time before cellphones. I think we're way too dependent on them as a culture nowadays...I don't have one anymore and I don't really miss it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Ours are 6, 9 & 10. We have a family plan where my DH and I each have a phone and we have a third line that my older two share when they are with their friends and only if their friend's parents are taking them somewhere and the parents keep the phone. The only time our older two actually have the phone is occasionally after school if one of them is on the house phone with a friend, then other will use the cell phone. Other than that, no. And our six year old has used it to talk to her friend (but after I call the mom and ask if so and so can talk to so and so). But as far as our six year old having her own phone, HELL NO. That's just way too young. It sounds more like she's "buying" her for whatever reason. JMO

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Buying a six year old a cell phone, especially a fairly expensive one, is absurd. There should be no reason for her to have one, there shouldnt be a time that she would be alone and without adult supervision to have the need to call anyone. As far as friends or whatever, isnt six years old the first grade? Do they really call their friends at that age?? I wouldnt consider getting my children a cell phone until at least middle school, and only then if they would be walking to or from school. Whne they are old enough for a license then we can talk about a cell phone.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 1:48 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Ugh, my daughter turned eleven and she got her first cell phone, because EVERYONE has one! And one time I was running late, like I got to the school 2 minutes after the bell rang, and it was nice to be able to call her. I didnt need to because they were not even out yet, but it was nice to know I could. Other than that feeling, I HATE that phone. I have to monitor it, and you would be amazed at the stuff these girls have sent her! Fwd text from who knows who. She has lost two friends, I had to call mothers! It was bad. She is always on it! Or checking it. She has had it since October, holy cow, its only been a month? It seems like FOREVER!! If it will ease your mind to know that JUST IN CASE, they have it, then it is worth it. But if your like me, and your kids don't go anywhere that they NEED a cell phone to call you. Dont do it!!! LOL Hope it helps!
    npacheco9

Answer by npacheco9 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I think that if they can pay the bill they could have it. maybe buy them the phone for christmas, them they pay the bill or for their b-day pay 2months or something like that, but a six year old come on thats almosy as bad as my sister buying her 2 year old a coach purse. let these fricken kids be kid. Are you going to buy condoms, make-up and a push up bra to go with the six year olds phone. No offense but moms are pushing their kids especially little girls to be materialistic divas that isn't reality . When they have a job and can afford that 100 dollar cell phone or pair of jean let them buys them and appreciate them.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I think that if I had a child old enough to stay home by herself then she would have a cell phone for safety. We do not have a landline. I do know that minutes would be very limited, I would choose a phone where I can program the numbers she calls, and no texting. A teenager who drives...yes and no. Yes I want my teen to have a cell for emergencies and to inform me of her where abouts - even limited minutes to call and text friends. However, I am not for texting or cell phone useage while driving. To me that is equivalent to drinking and driving. So I would punish accordiningly. It wouldn't just be taking the phone away, also the privledge of driving, and some serious weeks of grounding. Technology is a privledge, not a right. No other parent should loose a child because my child made a poor choice. What can I say, my teenagers will most likely think I'm such a bitch at times.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:23 PM on Nov. 23, 2008