Is it more important to adopt homeless animals than it is to adopt orphaned/homeless children?

I was watching the View today and Sarah Silverman was on and she made a good solid point. If there were starving chiuauas in Samolia, we'd be all over it and getting those dogs adopted and fed. And people encourage having their own babies yet frown upon backyard breeding. There are babies who need homes too not just puppies.

I dunno. I think she just made a good point.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• While she has a point, to me it's like comparing apples to oranges. While both require a commitment & a loving home, it's much easier to adopt a pet than it is a child. A lot cheaper too! It can costs thousands of dollars to adopt a child from Russia or China (or even the US for that matter) In the ideal world, there would be no children w/out good, loving homes, or animals either. Maybe she should use her influence to promote a program to get more children adopted. Why not use the promotional tool of a free cat or dog w/ the adoption of a child? (Take care of both problems at once!)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It is a good point. However, it is completely different on certain levels. For an example, the same person who might be willing to commit 3 years to caring for a senior dog from a shelter might not be willing or able to commit 18 years to caring for a child (not to mention that once you are a parent, it is pretty much forever). And while a lot of people might be able to manage a dog & 2 cats in the same home, those same people couldn't manage 3 children from various backgrounds. I think both issues need to have some time & money put into them to stop both babies AND animals from suffering.
    SaraBeth1204

Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It is not an either/or issue .

Some people want to adopt babies, others want to adopt animals , others still want to adopt both.

Some people would not be good parents , others would not be capable of looking after an animal properly .

Babies need homes, animals need homes . A decent and humane society looks after both .

janet116

Answer by janet116 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• That is a good point, however, from my understanding, it is SO difficult to adopt a child who needs a home to people who are willing and able and that is just as frustrating to me to hear that also - I understand it taking time as you shouldn't allow just any one to adopt a child to raise forever, but you also shouldnt' have to wait years
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• the standards to adopt a pet are significantly less than the standards to adopt a child. unfortunately you dont need to have good credit or be financially well off to adopt a dog, thus the reason more pets are adopted than children.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• well we cannot put animals above humans. It's just not right, IMO. Kids are rotting in orphanages, lost in the foster care system, and possibly living unknown in a dog cage in your very neighborhood. Let's save ourselves, 1st, and work on animals later.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• So it's more convenient to adopt a dog than it is to adopt a pet and it's less of a commitment as well. I understand people don't have the energy, time or money to adopt a kid, but I swear it seems like they make a bigger deal about homeless dogs than they do about homeless children. Just my opinion though.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I mean it's more convenient to adopt a dog than it is to adopt a child. Sorry.
    Anonymous

• yes, it is more convenient of course. i don't agree with it or anything but this is how it is.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• DOn't get me wrong. I love dogs, but I think we make them too much of a priority over things that really matter like children.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2011