35 weeks and baby only 4lbs7oz

i had my apt today with the specialist and i am 35 weeks and the baby is only 4,7
and she was saying she recaminds that i get induced at 37 weeks cuz the baby is just not gaining the weight he needs.. so has anyone been induced around that time?and how did it affect the baby?? i just dont understand why this baby is not gaing the weight right i am doing everything i am spost to be doing im scared for this baby im going to call my doc and see what she thinks about it

wiggsbabe

Asked by wiggsbabe at 5:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• why the hell would they induce early because the baby is too SMALL? Makes no sense to me. I would definitely be fighting this! my oldest came at 38 weeks and had an issue that put her in the NICU for a week. not to scare you, but if your baby is already small, i definitely would want her/him in there as long as possible. they tend to gain a pound a week in the last month so they need every extra day they can get!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• The estimate can be way off. Are you talking diagnosis by ultrasound?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My son Haiden is 3 and was induced at 37weeks, he was so small that my tummy was measuring 27weeks instead of 30weeks and they thought his placenta has stopped working along with umbilical cord. He was born at 5lbs 4oz and 18inches long. He now only weighs in at 23lbs and 33inches and is 3. So they now fianlly decided he is small because he is small. He is a very smart little boy, knows his shapes, colors, can draw a line, loves to play drums
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 5:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• They can be way off and if there is no other issue besides weight gain I would not agree to induction. But, to answer your question: my older two daughters were induced at 37w and my younger daughter was 38w because I have chronic HBP and there was no way around it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• From this point on babies gain a 1/2 pound a week so if they do induce you at 37 wks your baby should be around 5.5 lbs. I would question why they want to induce early. My dd was induced at 37 weeks and she was 8 pounds.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Thats odd to me since babies usually gain the most weight in the last 4-5 weeks. They gain anywhere from 1/2 lb to 1 lb a week. At 35 wks if you go 4 more weeks the baby would be 8 lbs if the baby gains a lb a week or on the smaller side with 1/2 lb a week would be 6+ lbs. Is there some other condition that leads them to believe the baby is not growing properly?

Answer by gemgem at 5:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Oh my girls were 6.8lb 7.2lb and 7lb and they were healthy.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i have never heard of that!!! ... my friend had a baby last month and she was full term baby BARELY weighed 5lbs!!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 5:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• also they arent 100% sure that is how much your baby weighs... i was told i was going to have a big baby and he came out 6.7.. so its not always accurate

3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 5:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Ultrasounds for weight in late pregnancy are rarely correct. They can be very off. My first child was born at 35 weeks and was 5 lbs. 2 oz. at birth. That was normal weight for her gestation. She was 4 lbs. 9 oz. when we left the hospital. Your LO doesn't seem that much smaller.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 7:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2011