Polyamory? Having more than one love?

How many of you know what it is/means and what do you think about it? Would you be capable of being friends with a family that was polyamorous if you yourself are not?

momofkearra

Asked by momofkearra at 5:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• Over the years, I have experienced people who condemn others for their beliefs or lifestyle can't even tell you a rational reason why... They tend to be against what they are unfamiliar/ignorant about.. I have friends & family that told me I couldn't date a man outside my race or someone of a specific religion ..When I asked them WHY? They would just say something intelligent like... "Because, it's not right" and couldnt give me a reason with any substance ... I just shook my head and did what was right for me... not for someone who couldnt give me a factual reason .. so dont worry about everyone else... I hope you find friends who will not hold your lifestyle against you... many people feel they have to lead a secret life so others will accept them. It's nice to see someone who says, this is how I live my life take it of leave it... I am proud of you..
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 6:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I can see how it would work for some people, but I think for a lot of people, it's hard to pull off. Personally, I'm not the sharing type. I would never be able to share my partner with somebody else like that. Nor would I want to be shared. As for being able to be friends with a polyamorous family.... It would depend on the individuals. I don't become friends with people based on their sex lives, nor do I judge them on that. So if I get along with the individual members, sure.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i would be friends with anyone i dont care about your sexual preference even if its sharing your man or add two more people i dont care as long as your a nice person
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would be able to be friends with one. It's personally not my cup of tea... I get a lil possessive of my man ;p I have had a threesome before but I wouldn't want them continuing a relationship. lol I know I'm probably gonna get bashed for admiting that but it is what it is

June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• while i would be capable of being friends with polyamorous people, its not a lifestyle i would ever consider.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• June Mama09: I have to say congrats on being so open and honest here! It's nice to see that you are proud of who you are. Don't worry about getting bashed lol. I feel the same way about sharing my man with another woman but it is based on my fear that he'll leave me for her or that he'll like having s-e-x with her more than me. Or maybe that she'd take over my role as a wife and mother and I'd just get pushed aside for the most part.... I'm working on that jealousy / insecurity stuff.
    Interestingly enough I am in a relationship with my husband and have a partner who I am fully committed to as well. Neither of them want to take another lover sexually or for a relationship. Finding people that would accept us for who we are seems difficult, but maybe we just haven't found the right people yet?
    momofkearra

Comment by momofkearra (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would feel like I was having my toes stepped on if there was another partner in my own relationship, but I have a jealous streak. That said, I wouldn't think twice about making friends with a polyamorous family.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Not for me!! But if you like it, go ahead!
    PrincessStacy

Answer by PrincessStacy at 7:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• it depends. if it's a family where they don't teach girls that they have options, and that they can do whatever they want, then no.
    Maybe I could be friends with them if they taught the kids that this lifestyle was this families choice, but how they live their lives with the their own choice.

I have more issues with people that teach kids things like 'it's a woman's job to do what a man tells her' than people that choose to a lifestyle other than monogamy.
    Heck, who am I to talk? I wasn't monogamous until I met my husband, and even then I don't think I'd mind having two husbands........but then when I think of the fact that it would mean hearing husband whining in stereo, then it's not so appealing!
    Anonymous

• I see nothing wrong with it but won't go in to one if kids are living in the home. I don't want to confuse them.
    Anonymous